Lower Range has vanished! Help

Rate this topic

Silent

I am a 15 year old bass-baritone. My usual range is an E2-G4, Eb2 on a good day..

My lower range has vanished the past 4, 5 days. In the mornings, I touch on a C#2 but a strong D, but now only to a Eb2 if lucky.

I don't know if it's because I stay up really late on the weekends, have a tad bit of stuffiness in my nose or what. It is so strange not being able to hit at least F2 but only F#.

Please give me any suggestions as how to strengthen my lower range back.

One more thing to add, I have been humming and doing scales for the last hour or so and now I've gotten back to E2, but it's almost like my vocal cords are doing the same thing in this video Ill post below. They are having a hard time coming together and sometimes produce gaps witch is causing the "cracking" that it seems like is taking the place of me actually hitting the note.

Link:

Well, you don't really need notes that low, do you? Do you have songs you sing that feature those notes? If not, you could just let them go.

Often when the lower range disappears it's a sign your voice has been warmed up, helping you sing the higher range with more ease.

There could be a million other different things causing it...the voice is different every day. But my suggestion is don't worry about it. Going down to F#2 is in my opinion still a great low range.

Thank you for the reply and I do go down that low quite often in the songs I sing. That is why I want to go low. In this link, it takes you straight to a C2 which what I hope to get to eventually and be able to sing it with ease:

I sing lots of Josh Turner and this is a great example of my favorite to sing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVFvl_SwdQ&list=PLil-x59Wcv1UHkv6uxGzp41_2NxQ4RgQB

oh and this one too:

I'd start by checking for tension. Place your thumb under your chin and sing a couple scales, do you feel the muscle get tight? If so, gently massage the muscle. Make sure that your larynx lowers "naturally", don't force it down, it will go down automatically on it's own.

Make sure your false vocal cords are retracted and your throat is open. To do this place your fingers on the sides of your larynx and take a silent breath. You should notice that your fingers will widen as does your throat. You can also curl your tongue back as if you were trying to touch the tip of it to your soft palate. Again you should feel your throat widen. Try to maintain this open throat as you sing. You will notice a substantial increase in resonance and ease of breathing. Make sure you take a silent breath every time you inhale as you sing.

Next, go get a narrow straw. Place one end of the straw in a glass of water and the other end between your lips. Then sing some scales or passages of the song you've chosen into the straw. Try to maintain a steady stream of bubbles, if you are splashing yourself in the face then you are not using good support and are pushing.

Next you'll do some fricatives. Make the sound as if a W and a V had a baby. Your entire head will be buzzing with resonance on this one. Sing the scales and song passages using the W/V combination fricative.

Next thing to remember is that low notes just like high notes still require support and proper alignment. Make sure your body is properly aligned and your posture is good. Keep your chest high and your neck long. Because you are losing sleep aside from hurting your vocals it will also affect your posture without you even noticing.

Next thing to experiment with is nasality. If you find that your low notes are getting lost in the mix or are not projecting enough. Try adding a slight bit of nasality to them by opening your nasal port a little. I caution you do not overuse nasality, only use it as a tool to help your low notes cut through better. Don't use it on your higher notes so much. What this does is it adds some higher frequencies to the low notes and helps to bring out the singer's formant more. Because higher frequencies travel faster through the air they give the listener a sense that the notes are louder and clearer. This tip is especially helpful for women who want to bring out their low notes more without getting too breathy. But it is also effective for men. It also help bring out that country twang too!

I'd also suggest warming up with some vocal fry. This is the sound you make in the morning when you first wake up. Some people call it the Elmer Fudd voice. This will gently warm up your voice and use a minimal amount of air. If you losing vocal range both low and high check your diet and fluid intake as well. Dry vocal folds will not work well for extreme ranges and a bad diet will create too much mucous making it difficult to sing at all.

Also, get in the habit of warming down with gentle vocal fry and light fricatives like the V/W combination discussed earlier. If you do a lot of singing and you don't warm down and on top of that you have lack of sleep, you're just asking for problems! :(

Hope that helps. :)

Oh yeah, one more thing... Get some sleep and manage your stress levels. These two things are silent killers of the voice. Not to state the obvious but, avoid smoke/alcohol as well and drink lots of water.

That is insanely helpful. I very much appreciate you spending the time to type that out to help.

Thanks a bunch! :) I will definitely try these out. I had my voice back and this weekend it is doing the same thing :( More sleep it is lol