"Low" Headvoice Problem?

Rate this topic

Hello my fellow Vocalists!

First of all, i just registered here after this site was always one of the first results when typing in my questions into goolge and was always able to find useful answers in this forum! Great community :cool:

However now i had a question i couldn't find an answer to so i thought i could register here!

I was singing around in my headvoice the last few days since i did it in my last band practise (last month) just for fun and actually thought that my voice sounded quite cool in headvoice :lol:

However - i tried to sing a little deeper/lower in headvoice and actually i got the tones i wanted to get - but my voice was pretty much distorted.

My question is if that is normal considering the fact that i until now havent done that and now the voice is just not used to it and needs a couple of weeks to get used to it and later the tones/voice will be clean?

I guess the headvoice - at that point - is close to the break BUT is actually never breaking (!) it is really solid and stable but it is distorted...

I guess it could be important that i over the last years was always singing completely in chest voice. I never really like the headvoice because i thought it was weak.. but hearing it pretty much for the first time last month i really wanted to improve espacially get it deeper/lower!

I would like to give an sample of the recording since i guess it could be quite important/interesting for discussing that but unfortunately i dont have a mic here at home.

I was hoping to get some info on if i can train on or if that means i could be damaging my voice(headvoice).

Cheers!

The distortion should go away over time as you make small tweaks to the coordination and figure out how to make it work better. The distortion is probably not damaging.

Btw if you wanna get really good at low head voice I'd recommend taking some skype lessons with Robert Lunte, he's a master at it

Hey Owen,

thx for the reply!

That pretty much goes with the feeling i have. I guess im just pretty unused to headvoice but ive been doing some simple exercises during the day to get me started again and it already works much more easy and just sounds cleaner! :D

Its a funny thing i never knew Robert Lunte until i read about him in some forums because he is mentioned so often and then i register here just too find out it is "his" website :cool:

Of course i would love to take some lessons but unfortunately im pretty short on cash atm and i dont have a microphone, camera, skype on my computer.. but mos def something for the near future.

Thx again for the answer - i guess this topic can be closed! :)

Hey Owen,

thx for the reply!

That pretty much goes with the feeling i have. I guess im just pretty unused to headvoice but ive been doing some simple exercises during the day to get me started again and it already works much more easy and just sounds cleaner! :D

Its a funny thing i never knew Robert Lunte until i read about him in some forums because he is mentioned so often and then i register here just too find out it is "his" website :cool:

Of course i would love to take some lessons but unfortunately im pretty short on cash atm and i dont have a microphone, camera, skype on my computer.. but mos def something for the near future.

Thx again for the answer - i guess this topic can be closed! :)

I would still recommend doing your best to learn from him in more affordable ways. Go ahead and watch his youtube videos, you may get a good bit of help on low head voice just from that alone.

Or if you want to shoot me an email with a file of you singing in low head voice, I could probably help you get started in cleaning it up. I've been a student of his for over a year. I'm not certified or anything though.

Also explore his website thevocaliststudio.com he offers some cheaper services on there that you might want to check out, he will critique a file for $20. Or maybe you can save up and purchase the four pillars of singing program. Or save up for one skype lesson. One lesson with him will help a lot more than you'd expect.

I was checking some of the youtube videos for the last hour^^

It great to see that there are so much freebies and alot of quick tipps on youtube!

Anyhow - i will keep thevocalstudio in mind and maybe ill come back on it in a couple of weeks.. right now i have a good feeling that i can work on this particular thing on my own but its surely something i would like to do in a couple of weeks!

power,

when you remain in a pure head voice (no chest voice musculature involved) the light and flutey voice and you start coming down into the area where chest voice wants to kick in and you elect to remain in that heady voice instead, you need to back off the volume and learn to let the resonance take over.

don't push the voice in a heady configuration down low. you'll end up blowing too much air across the folds and drying them up.

you see they're thicker and have slack when they are producing lower tones and are vulnerable to too much pressure in that area.

What Bob (videohere) said.

Some might say I am used to using head voice. I am inclined to agree.

And as you go lower, let your foot ease of the gas, so to speak.

To quote Shawn from the show, "Psych," "It's all in your head."

Hey Guys,

thx for the answers!

Damn, you guys are dead on! After i posted the topic here i was trying out pretty much the whole day. I tried just to focus on pure headvoice and really took out any strengh, air pressure or anything that was unimportantant (at this time!!) and even got lower than before - while being nice and clean!

And when im really good at this i can bring the power (as an overall term) back in?

Cheers

Again, what Bob said, per the Anthony Frisell model, as seen in "The Tenor Voice" and, if I am not mistaken, "The Baritone Voice."

It's just going to take a while to re-train yourself. It may sound or feel odd, at first. But time and diligent practice will bring results.

I spend the last two days just doing this! It keeps getting better. :cool:

Good to hear! :) That's always a good sign.

I wonder if you are one of the types of singers who picks up these kinds of things more intuitively. In my case, i absolutely NEEDED private lessons to really get my low head voice in shape.

i have found by descending into the lower head tones while staying heady (not bringing in chest voice musculature at all, you overlap the chest tones) the lower head tones grow. (frisell refers to this as inverting the tones.) you then start to build a ramp and discover (again, over time) that the head voice musculature is more of what makes up your voice (but it's a stronger head voice that audibly rivals chest), where you have a newfound control over how much chest voice musculature you want to bring in to the tone.

so basically you aren't pulling up chest voice musculature, you invite it...you meld with it. there's no more going up in chest and switching to head...it's just one unified voice.

and you don't end up too heady!! you can thicken it to your liking (over time).

a good song that shows what I mean is singing a song like "let it be." he skillfully pulls in just a little bit of chest voice musculature as needed.