Breath support during live performance

Rate this topic

I'm looking for some input from you guys with live performance experience regarding the issue of breath support during live performance.

I find that support works beautifully best and at full command while singing standing behind a mic stand with minimal moving around.

I also find that as soon as I attempt to walk-sing, jump around a bit or basically anything that causes too much movement, I loose my support configuration. It's very difficult for me to stay expended and push as needed if I attempt to move around at the same time.

My question: Is this something that improves over time with more experience? Or is this a situation where you kinda need to pick your spots as in move around and engage the audience during the easier songs/phrases/moments to perform and try to move the least during the more demanding tunes?

Thanks in advance!

My advice is this...Practice recognizing your support when you are at home..Perfect practice.. When you get live make sure you get the blood moving and breath moving before you hit the stage. In other words pushups, jumping jacks, etc. Sing the first song or so backstage (if there us one) after a warm up. Do not concentrate on the support when you sing just sing...With all your practice it will be there.

Practice support while moving around. Can't get better than that, no?

Practice how will perform, if at all possible to pull off. If not successful, backtrack to something easier and gradually work your way up to it.

Goes for anything, including breath support during live performance. :)

I also think it's a combination of what you said. It doesn't make sense to be moving around if you are holding out a money note, for instance. It's best to walk around during the easier parts. And of course you will get better at it with experience, like any other craft.

One last thought. Remember that support is not a locked position. In the words of the wise ronws, breath support is agile and mobile. If it is making you want to lock your body in one spot all the time, you may be overdoing it, wasting too much energy on it. Any sort of physically difficult support should be reserved mostly for the tough parts. The rest should fall more under the category of breath management...simply supplying the right amount of air to the folds to begin with.

Take a lesson from Bruce, the master of breath support. On bended knee, I beg of you to watch him as much as you listen to him. He covers the stage, carrying a battle-sized flag.

But when he sings, he is standing one spot and not moving all that much.

Structure your stage moves to allow you to assume a stable position for the actual singing parts.

And let me add insult to injury. Bruce is in his mid 50's in this clip. Nor does he get to rest all the time. On this tour, the band leased a Boeing 757 that was re-named "Ed Force One." And Bruce, a licensed commercial pilot, was the captain and chief pilot.

Join a band, sing live as much as you can and take a completely relaxed breath between every single phrase.

That's a good idea jon.

Have you been able to do that with songs that don't really give you a lot of time in between phrases? In other words, does this relaxed breath have to be slow and only done in open spots, or are you able to squeeze it in quickly as well?