Get Lucky

Rate this topic

TheIntimate

My band is doing a cover of Get Lucky by Daft Punk, and I need some help with Pharrel Williams' vocals at the start of the hook, We've come too far, to give up who we are, So let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars.". I can just about hit the first part, but Pharrel goes into falsetto for "to give up who we are" and "our cups to the stars". I just can't seem to make that falsetto sound good, but can't sing those high notes without going into falsetto. Would you advise me to work on my falsetto in some way, or should I just keep trying to extend my range until I can hit those notes?

It's got at least 2 or 3 harmonies backing it up giving it more depth. I recently learnt how to do the fuller falsetto/head voice with experimentation in the studio. Try to slowly lean into it and twang/cry a little. You have to keep a edge to it. To me it feels like it's just behind my nose/soft palate.

I'll try to post a demonstration later.

In that particular recording it's just falsetto with a lot of doubling and harmonies to thicken it up. But you can learn to sing it fuller as well. Expect that it won't come overnight, there may be no quick fix.

For the time being, if it's really that bad, maybe see if you can get your hands on some kind of effects pedal that will thicken it up. A compressor or doubler pedal would probably be the most effective I think. Alternatively, see if you can consciously lower the volume of your full voice singing on the lower parts or back off the mic a touch, and then really eat the mic on the falsetto parts, to get the volume more even.

That's all I can think of for quick fixes. But if you're planning on keeping that cover in the rotation for a while, if you take some vocal lessons with a great teacher who can teach you how to strengthen your head voice, that will help more than anything. The ones I know who are really great at it, offer skype lessons: Robert Lunte, Daniel Formica, Dante, Kevin Richards, Eric Arceneaux, etc...if you lurk around in this forum you'll run into those names a lot, they are really keeping up to date with teaching the techniques currently in high demand for contemporary singing. One of them being the desire to achieve a stronger substitute for falsetto, without having to strain from pulling your full voice up that high.