"How to make your neighbours hate you"

• TMV World Legacy Member

what, it just might be! When it's silent in our appartment, we can hear our neighbours' conversations. That's how badly the sound proofing is.

Alas (?), no one has said anything about my singing; no angry notes or something.

In 1988, when i first started developing full voice volume in my upper range, I lived in a condo in Dallas. Our neighbors were newlyweds. And nearly every night, I could not help but hear them celebration their new marriage.

And so, every early evening, they got to hear me shriek and hit some bad notes loud enough to break glass.

Outside in the parking lot, we would simply say hi and bye, depending on arrival or departure. The neighbors on the other side bought a loud stereo and liked dance music. So, I would turn up my Fender 85 amp (200 watts, rms) and give a little "Snakeskin Cowboy" or "Cat Scratch Fever" from ole' Ted Nugent. No complaints there, either.

Ah, good times ....

Now, I live in a house on a 1/4 acre and can do what I want. Two houses down from lives a drummer who practices in his garage. Over that last year or so, he and his band are finally starting to gel.

So, the solution to your problems is to have polite neighbors such as I have had.

:D

In 1988, when i first started developing full voice volume in my upper range, I lived in a condo in Dallas. Our neighbors were newlyweds. And nearly every night, I could not help but hear them celebration their new marriage.

And so, every early evening, they got to hear me shriek and hit some bad notes loud enough to break glass.

Outside in the parking lot, we would simply say hi and bye, depending on arrival or departure. The neighbors on the other side bought a loud stereo and liked dance music. So, I would turn up my Fender 85 amp (200 watts, rms) and give a little "Snakeskin Cowboy" or "Cat Scratch Fever" from ole' Ted Nugent. No complaints there, either.

Ah, good times ....

Now, I live in a house on a 1/4 acre and can do what I want. Two houses down from lives a drummer who practices in his garage. Over that last year or so, he and his band are finally starting to gel.

So, the solution to your problems is to have polite neighbors such as I have had.

:D

Haha! Nice! :D

It's a matter of give and take, I guess! :)

Also, I long for the possibility to have a house. Would be great to have a little recording studio.

Haha! Nice! :D

It's a matter of give and take, I guess! :)

Also, I long for the possibility to have a house. Would be great to have a little recording studio.

You can get the house, later. First, go out touring for years and make a name and then make some money. By the time you are 50, you might be able to enjoy some time off to enjoy your house.

ronws Haha! As much as I love singing, I don't fancy touring. I've turned down a few offers (some bands had quite good record deals too actually) because their touring plan was too hectic.

I've sacrificed an enormous amount of time and energy (and sadly, health and sanity) to be where I am academically, and I'm not willing to give that up. Also, singing is a big part of my, oh so well-needed, recreation. I don't want to risk turning it to a "job", where I'm burdened with even more demands and "have to":s.

Lord_Adōn Hey, Adon! Thank you very much! It's nice getting a compliment from you!

ronws Haha! As much as I love singing, I don't fancy touring. I've turned down a few offers (some bands had quite good record deals too actually) because their touring plan was too hectic.

I've sacrificed an enormous amount of time and energy (and sadly, health and sanity) to be where I am academically, and I'm not willing to give that up. Also, singing is a big part of my, oh so well-needed, recreation. I don't want to risk turning it to a "job", where I'm burdened with even more demands and "have to":s.

Good point. I had not thought of the artistic freedom that I have. Since I am a middle-aged working joe, I have a job, part of what is necessary to maintain a house. So, I don't have a record deal or some inflexible public demanding I sing this or that. I do have a dog and a cat and they are my helpless captive audience, for now.

I have sang in front of others, family, friends, general public, usually to applause or, at least, a lack of booing and "you stink" and whatever else.

I think they're just being polite because of my intimidating appearance.

:)

Good point. I had not thought of the artistic freedom that I have. Since I am a middle-aged working joe, I have a job, part of what is necessary to maintain a house. So, I don't have a record deal or some inflexible public demanding I sing this or that. I do have a dog and a cat and they are my helpless captive audience, for now.

I have sang in front of others, family, friends, general public, usually to applause or, at least, a lack of booing and "you stink" and whatever else.

I think they're just being polite because of my intimidating appearance.

:)

I value my artistic freedom very much; be it music, literature or art, and I will not let anything limit it (in the long run) :)

Haha! And I think you're too hard on yourself! Even if a singer does something "wrong", he/she can touch the listener's heart. Conviction and, as I usually say, a connection between heart and vocal cords will take a singer a looong way. Case in point:

says it's blocked in my country (USA.)

I make fun of myself. I just about always get applause when I perform for people. Except the one time my wife asked me to stop and it was not because I was off-key.

One of my wife's favorites was Dan Fogelberg, who passed away from prostate cancer. His favorite song of his own and her favorite song, too, was "Leader of the Band."

I finally got around to learning that song and I was doing it, in the original key, and nailing it. And that was the problem. She started crying and asked me to stop, it was bringing back too many memories.

But I may have to record it, at least for my own collection. It really is a pretty song and I like it, too.

says it's blocked in my country (USA.)

I make fun of myself. I just about always get applause when I perform for people. Except the one time my wife asked me to stop and it was not because I was off-key.

One of my wife's favorites was Dan Fogelberg, who passed away from prostate cancer. His favorite song of his own and her favorite song, too, was "Leader of the Band."

I finally got around to learning that song and I was doing it, in the original key, and nailing it. And that was the problem. She started crying and asked me to stop, it was bringing back too many memories.

But I may have to record it, at least for my own collection. It really is a pretty song and I like it, too.

Ah, right! It was a Queen live recording. Freddie was a little out of shape, but still made a huge impact!

Haha! The power of singing, right there! :D

• 2 months later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Shc0F0TNw

Felt it was time! I know how most of you feel about my grit, but it works well for this "noble" cause! :)

The pic-sound-sync is crazy though. It jumps in and out of sync (especially in the beginning for some reason), but I can't understand how some parts are in sync and some not. In the original video that I recorded everything was just right.

If it gets on my nerves too much I'll probably take it down. So if it's gone you know why! :)

Enander, these are awesome!! amazing singing especially the Maiden cover imo.

I'm pleased you have been able to turn your hatred for your neighbours into fuel for the FIRE!!!

I subbed you on YT, can't wait to hear more. :D

Jonathan

[url]https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-graham1-0[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/JonathanGrahamTUF[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/theunnamedfaces[/url]
[url]http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/JonathanGraham[/url]

Awesome, dude. Not one thing wrong with it. And kudos for wearing a Slayer t-shirt.

If your neighbors are still giving you grief, move to Texas. You can be my neighbor and I won't mind. I have the largest lot on my street, 1/4 acre.

We can have "sing-offs." And I sing like a tall, ugly-looking soprano. :lol:

jonathangraham

Haha! Thanks, Jonathan! :) Glad you liked it... and subbed!

I don't upload as often as I want to, but I hope I can change that come fall.

ronws

Thank you, Ron!

Haha! We northmen can't handle such heat too well, but 1/4 acre sure is something I envy!

Except "tall" (here in Sweden I'm about average height with my ~6 feet) it sounds like me! :D

I'd love to be your neighbor, this sounds freaking awesome.

It's just amazing dude

Than

Just remember - if you move to Texas, most of your expense will be for air conditioning. We get days and weeks of 100 + F (37.7 C +) and we call that "August." Though we are having a cooler than normal August. It was in the upper 60's this morning. Usually, in August, the morning low is between 80 and 85 F.

Depends on your heating, too. Electric heat cost more than electric air conditioning. My house has gas heating, electric air conditioning. July was actually hotter. I paid $240 USD for that month.

Fantastic symphony x cover Fredrik, one cannot hear much difference between you and Russel. You could make a living as a singer if you'd wanted to.

ronws

A tall and proud southern gentleman! :cool:

akarawd

Haha! Thank you! My neighbours haven't said anything. Will be interesting to make my next one though, since the new tenants/students moved in this weekend. Perhaps they'll enjoy it! :) I'm still better than the trumpet man in the house, I guess! Haha! :D

Olem Hey! Thanks! :) Would be nice to just have something in the side for fun. Perhaps one day I'll find something/someone that fits me just right! Nothing too serious, just an outlet that results in something some people might find enjoyable.

Awesome... awesome voice!!!!......and that dio cover was just stellar

The maiden cover was crazy good ....that high note was godly lol

www.soundclick.com/chavie