what is marvin doing here?

Rate this topic

capedtail

Hello everyone, please watch Marvin Gaye at 4.14 the raspy distorted sound is so impressive to me, I was wondering if there are any preparatory exercises I can do to semi-safely imitate this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n235gqqxTY8

There is technical trainning that will give you freedom in a lot of senses, including choices that can result in something similar that may or not fit the song depending on how your voice is to begin with.

Drive/Distortion/Rasp is never 100% safe, but you can minimize the risk.

How is your technical work, can you do the song well without the rasp and with no problems? Thats milestone 1 if you already have a good foundation and trainning. If not, you will have to begin with something easier and proceed step by step.

Hope it helps.

this is glottal compression...it starts with learning to lean in, and apply pressure and squeeze to the vocal folds in a concentrated, isolated way.

you go for this once you've got a decent vocal foundation built, not before.

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

Yeah I can sing the song, gonna have to build my rasp up very slowly, I can add rasp to singing but the distorted riff he pulls off just sounds like an alien noise I'd be afraid to imitate, so I'll take it slowly.

what would be the best product/resource for learning this sort of rasp/distortion? four pillars? any legit YouTube videos?

Hello everyone, please watch Marvin Gaye at 4.14 the raspy distorted sound is so impressive to me, I was wondering if there are any preparatory exercises I can do to semi-safely imitate this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n235gqqxTY8

Your voice needs to be well-developed to do this safely. If you have put in the hours, then the way that I learned this kind of singing was to listen to a lot of Ray Charles. My approach is to mimic the singer. I sing along, trying different things until I "find" exactly the right sound.

Like I said, Ray Charles did this style quite heavily in his music. So, listen carefully to his songs and try to duplicate that style. It requires a fair amount of power, so you won't be able to do it (IMO) until you achieve some power in your voice. Jazz vocals are not nearly as easy to do as the average singer might think.

Well not to argue with bob but.. When he says home it's more glottal than when he says darlin. Darlin is passing air through the folds very rapidly. The crying thing is not gonna help you here. It's actually having space in the glottis. I wouldn't be giving an answer if I didn't do this everyday. You can listen to my soundcloud where I do a lot of rod Stewart Betty wright ray Gillian to get these sounds. It's not unsafe but I wouldn't say it's safe either.