Normal situation? Yes or no....

Rate this topic

gilad

Hey Guys.

I wanted to ask whether this is normal.

I am vocalizing a pitch, and then slowly slowly letting the volume go down. At a certain point, it goes to just air. I would think it should normaly keep on going down lower...

I did it both going down, and then going up.

Is this normal?

Soundclip:

http://soundcloud.com/user206400908/cressendo/s-53wRT

Your just dropping support and the intent of the closure. Crescendo decrescendos are all about intent. Stop the airflow/phonation before that happens and get that muscle memory doing the right thing don't keep going to failure so to speak

Hey Daniel! Thx for the reply!

You mean it has to be with the length in time i do the cressendo? In other words my support runs out? So, do the same but quicker?

But then when i do the opposite which is start from nothing and cressendo to a note, you notice when the note comes in. You can hear it on the second part of the soundclip...

A note needs enough closure and breath to make a sound. The trick is to stop lightening up before only the breath is heard. And practice starting the note with enough closure and breath to make sound. Before long you will be able to initiate the note with the proper amount of both.

It's not something my voice has ever done so to me I would interpret it as not normal and a sign that my voice is really beat and done for the day (due to the inability to achieve any closure at a soft volume). But everybody's different, every voice has its quirks. So I don't know.