Adam Lambert's headvoice / falsetto / neutral / early bridging

Rate this topic

Opaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96sdonhzz8w

What do you think? I can't think of anything else to accomplish this sound than strengthening pure headvoice, downward slides, all the Frisell-stuff and working on early bridging.

Also about this early bridging and late bridging... If there is such a thing, then isn't Adam doing both? He seems to blend it all over.

And lol you can see the veins protruding on Adams neck on the high notes!!

It's a very light mix, well coordinated. It's a sound that can be swelled into more full (as you hear him doing a bit), while it may not be clear cut curbing this is essentially very low volume curbing, not falsetto.

It can be lowered further in volume to the point where it's neutral but there is a light fold closure going on that separates it from regular neutral.

Practising with an NG lightly up to these sounds (not in neutral, hard to actually explain what's going on but you can feel the difference), this is the foundation I get, a very adam lamberty sounding head voice, add some support and compression and it's "full voice".

Oppa - I saw this last night. That I believe is mostly CVT Neutral. He is really good at Neutral and MLN. Yes the bridging starts a lot earlier / lower. When you hit the mode right the feeling of bridging disappears. I've been working on this doing octave slides using a very relaxed tongue and jaw - starting on the lower note, sliding up to the higher one and back down - right through the bridge. The trick I've found is starting the lower note very light - not breathy, but the lightest you can go in a fully adducted "speaking voice" type weight. The other trick is not to let any restriction, tongue tension, jaw tension, etc. occur as you slide up.

@Sun it is said in the book Curbing cannot be done at very low volumes. Lambert however is clearly great at what he does.... I cannot even see him breathing.

I know but you must also know that the "modes" overlap, there are grey-zones between the modes that are not the center.

If you could only sing in the center of the "modes" then there would be super clear seams everytime you switch mode.

This coordination is essentially curbing grayzoning towards neutral, I don't like to think of the voice in modes anymore though because to me the modes all feel the same with different amounts of support and volume. To get this sound you need the same coordination you would need for curbing just with less volume and different support (I just wanted to be clear that this is not falsetto, what he does is hard)