Singing along in the audience - why is it easier?

Rate this topic

Andresonance

Hi guys! I'm new to the board although I've been following the discussion here for quite a while and I like the vibe here :)

My question is: why do I find it easier to sing along in a concert when I'm in the audience as compared to when I'm singing by myself? Bridging is easier and more nautural and the voice is less constricted, it's like I'm singing full voice all the time without pulling chest? Do you guys think it's a psychological thing/lack of practice or something else?

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to posting some stuff here later and talking singing! :)

Andre

Could be be that you are not hearing yourself so you are not trying to manipulate the sound to make it fit your taste. Also could be that you do not hear yourself and think you are nailing the pitch but it could be way off and you do not know it. Could also be that your adrenolin is high and you are putting way more energy into singing than you realize.

Hi guys! I'm new to the board although I've been following the discussion here for quite a while and I like the vibe here :)

My question is: why do I find it easier to sing along in a concert when I'm in the audience as compared to when I'm singing by myself? Bridging is easier and more nautural and the voice is less constricted, it's like I'm singing full voice all the time without pulling chest? Do you guys think it's a psychological thing/lack of practice or something else?

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to posting some stuff here later and talking singing! :)

Andre

I am actually the complete opposite.

Could be be that you are not hearing yourself so you are not trying to manipulate the sound to make it fit your taste. Also could be that you do not hear yourself and think you are nailing the pitch but it could be way off and you do not know it. Could also be that your adrenolin is high and you are putting way more energy into singing than you realize.

Pretty much nailed it. I think it might be the last one a lot of the time. When you can't hear yourself you will probably sing louder, and a lot of things about singing get easier by increasing the volume (within reason, and it depends on your pre-existing habits, but it's true for many). That can be a double-edged sword though because sometimes you will sing TOO loud (without making the changes that are necessary for doing that in a healthy way) and go hoarse. This happens to me at amusement parks.

You are more likely to be loud when others around you are loud. Psychological.

And it is easier to pull chest the louder you are. And if you say you are bridging you are probably bridging late which has its benefits in terms of feeling and sounding like there is no passaggio. Physiological.

Also, you can't hear yourself clearly among others. We pretty much all think we sound better in a group. Psychological.

Higher energy certainly helps you sing with more energy without feeling like you are pushing. Physiological.

So it's both a physiological and psychological phenomenon IMO.

It's funny though, I have the same experience as consuming...I find it harder to sing along in the audience. I remember trying to do so at a Journey cover band performance and it was weird, if I belted I could hear myself alright but when I tried to go into head voice, even though it felt powerful, I couldn't hear what I was doing at all.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

I definitely think that not trying to manipulate the sound has something to do with it, almost like I'm a bit scared of my own voice but in the audience I can let it rip :) I don't have this problem with loud head voice, because that's easier than singing loud in mixed voice/passagio area. In head voice I can be loud and secure even without loud music around me, for example Judas Priest or Led Zeppelin kind of stuff.

I think I'm pretty well on pitch because I do hear myself. The adrenalin and energy thing is probably true and I can immediately feel if I'm straining. But it's almost like if the band would stop playing my voice would immediately die down, almost like a "did I really sing that?" kind of effect.

You are more likely to be loud when others around you are loud. Psychological.

And it is easier to pull chest the louder you are. And if you say you are bridging you are probably bridging late which has its benefits in terms of feeling and sounding like there is no passaggio. Physiological.

Also, you can't hear yourself clearly among others. We pretty much all think we sound better in a group. Psychological.

Higher energy certainly helps you sing with more energy without feeling like you are pushing. Physiological.

So it's both a physiological and psychological phenomenon IMO.

It's funny though, I have the same experience as consuming...I find it harder to sing along in the audience. I remember trying to do so at a Journey cover band performance and it was weird, if I belted I could hear myself alright but when I tried to go into head voice, even though it felt powerful, I couldn't hear what I was doing at all.

I've noticed that too, if I try to sing in low head voice when I'm in the audience, I can't hear anything. Singing in the audience seems easier to me because there's a kind of sound pressure somehow from the outside, that's easy to sing along to, something to push against, I don't quite know how to explain it. The placement of the sound is less in the throat and more in the head. Everything is smoother.

Does anybody share this experience?

Got to keep training :) Thanks a lot for your answers!

Andre

Andre

I uses to feel the same - that I was on pitch - but after taking some lessons I've realized I was often singing one octave down! But on pitch. Oh well :) I think many has hit close to the mark here. Higher volume => easier to sing high in full voice.

Awesome username by the way, Andresonance!

Thanks! :)

I uses to feel the same - that I was on pitch - but after taking some lessons I've realized I was often singing one octave down! But on pitch. Oh well I think many has hit close to the mark here. Higher volume => easier to sing high in full voice.

I'm sure I'm in the right octave and pretty sure I'm on pitch too :) But being in the audience, it's almost as if there's no fear of failure so I can sing all out. I bet it also has a lot to do with how warmed up the voice is. So it's probably both psychological and physiological.

I have the opposite problem too-- if im singing with people or cant hear myself... i can barely sing at all. And if i can hear myself still but i am singing along with someone who has no technique (especially no head voice), my technique goes wherever theirs is, which is to say it leaves completely and i cant sing in head voice at all haha. All psychological im sure, though since i don't sing in groups much anymore it doesn't bother me!

Right. Answer might be psycological barriers. I often think I sing better when I'm drunk - and to an extent I am. This is often correlated with being in an audience! But also being part of the group mentality thingy. Taking singing lessons has helped me sing in front of one other person. That has really moved my barriers. I'm now able to sing in front of more people, but I might be hesitant to use certain styles due to loud volume etc.

Right. Answer might be psycological barriers. I often think I sing better when I'm drunk - and to an extent I am. This is often correlated with being in an audience! But also being part of the group mentality thingy. Taking singing lessons has helped me sing in front of one other person. That has really moved my barriers. I'm now able to sing in front of more people, but I might be hesitant to use certain styles due to loud volume etc.

Yeah, I'm that way too, but being too drunk really makes singing difficult :) I just tried this thing out a little bit today, listening to music with headphones with pretty loud volume, and the effect is a bit similar, less strain and going more by sensation and not all on direct audio feedback, not trying to manipulate the sound that much. I did hear my voice, though, so I wasn't just singing whatever. It's easier, at least for me :)