Post-hardcore CLEAN high vocals - how ?

Rate this topic

Leeeo

Much love for everyone on this forum, been lurking for a while now.

But as far as I've seen topics, this has never been risen yet - closest I've seen were things like Jens did, with metal (and yes, great power, dude! :D ), but pharyngeal isn't exactly what's happening here.

What fascinates me here is a very heady sound, that doesn't break into falsetto (at least to my ear :P )

To give you people an example : [linked to those "high clean" parts]

I See Stars - Filth Friends Unite

Pierce The Veil - King for a Day

Hopes Die Last - Chapter Two : Never Trust The Hazel Eyed

Anybody has ideas how to sing like that ? :|

To me these examples sound a little too powerful to be pure head...more like a high tenor pulling up the weight of chest, but covering it so the resonance is like head voice.

But if you're not a high tenor, the closest you can get to this would be to put a ton of training into your head voice until it's so strong it sounds kinda like chest. And then really using all that power, but also holding back the air to make sure it doesn't distort.

The analogy of "drinking the sound" I find personally helps me get closer to these sounds. You can also try singing in head voice while inhaling which automatically opens the throat in a more yawn-like position, as an exercise. Then reverse the airflow back to normal while trying to maintain that throat configuration as best as you can.

hey leeeo i only listened to a little but from what i heard that is just good solid technique. tenor, baritone it doesnt matter here its just singing in the upper part of the range plain and simple. Totally achievable... they also look pretty young so going for it is alot easier at this age ala robert plant,and singers like that did it much easier at a young age however totally achievable even by an old guy like myself. Work good solid technique

I can sing like that but it is very hard for me to describe. It is like its own configuration that doesn't really feel like anything else. I think it can be fine in spots but it is really hard to use any dynamics and versatility in this mode. Somebody that is similar but a little more full and I believe has a little more diversity is Rody Walker from Protest the Hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCdGNe3Bvs

Let me think on this more tomorrow and I might be able to put into some sort of technical description.

These guys are all good. I checked some of their live performances and they deliver the goods live. I agree with Daniel - great technique. It's a solid "chesty" head voice. Interesting they don't use any vibrato, but that's the style they're going for...maybe it's easier that way for them?

• 2 weeks later...

Much love for everyone on this forum, been lurking for a while now.

But as far as I've seen topics, this has never been risen yet - closest I've seen were things like Jens did, with metal (and yes, great power, dude! :D ), but pharyngeal isn't exactly what's happening here.

What fascinates me here is a very heady sound, that doesn't break into falsetto (at least to my ear :P )

To give you people an example : [linked to those "high clean" parts]

I See Stars - Filth Friends Unite

Pierce The Veil - King for a Day

Hopes Die Last - Chapter Two : Never Trust The Hazel Eyed

Anybody has ideas how to sing like that ? :|

Good questions. I don't have a proper answer, but thanks for bringing these band to my attention!

• 4 weeks later...

I can sing like that but it is very hard for me to describe. It is like its own configuration that doesn't really feel like anything else. I think it can be fine in spots but it is really hard to use any dynamics and versatility in this mode. Somebody that is similar but a little more full and I believe has a little more diversity is Rody Walker from Protest the Hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCdGNe3Bvs

Let me think on this more tomorrow and I might be able to put into some sort of technical description.

Whoa. Nice video there, never heard that one before.

As for the 'c0onfiguration' - could you please try to describe it?

I can think of a really head-y tone with lots of air behind it at the moment.

This is extremly close to what i do, and i honestly think you are working from the wrong end. The question you are asking is How are they doing these sounds?

The question you should ask is "why are they doing these sounds?"