My vocal range ( and some questions about head voice)

Rate this topic

LuckNoMore

So i have a few questions about vocal range and head voice.

1: My vocal range is around G2 or A2 to D5 ( E5 on a good day) Am i a tenor or a baritone?

2: When i sing in head voice i can sing in head voice from G3 or A3 to E6.

3: After I sing in head voice for a while i will try and sing like a C5 and it feels like im singing a C4. I feel no tension in the throat.

4: If i keep developing my headvoice will it help me to be able to keep singing up high in chest voice or is the effect of it only momentary.

5: I also find that i can bridge my chest to a weak something and then my voice gets thinner and thinner until its a faint little F5 almost like a weak head voice maybe which is wierd but then i cant transition to head.

6: I dont have a break at the passagio... None of the notes are hard. i hit a wall made of adamantium at D5 and thats it.

7: Im 17 years old but have pretty much finished most of puberty and speak on average around D3

8: Hopefully this isnt to hard to follow!

I will post some clips of me singing as well... soon!! i hope.

Yep, clips would be helpful. Key is really to develop that "weak something" into a full sound head voice, by mixing it with the "head voice" (which is most probably falsetto) you can use up to E6 now.

The notes you list lean heavily towards tenor imo (especially the really high speaking pitch), but that's not really sure until you have fully developed your tessitura. Of course speaking pitch is only an initial indicator, but from what I know typical speaking pitches are around E2/F2 for basses, G2/A2 for baritones and B2/C3 for tenors.

You are young, dont try to put yourself in a vocalfach(baritone/tenor) just yet. Try to experiment alot and find out what it can do and what you want it to do :)

The trouble if you try to put a brand on your voice early is that your mind will try to live up to that and limit you

^ That's what happened to me in my earlier days of singing. Solid advice. In the end, it doesn't matter what your type is, you will work on developing the quality of your voice with the same exercises whether you're a bass, bari or tenor. Many people ask this question hoping they are tenors and when they're not (->the majority of men) they are devastated for absolutely no reason. :rolleyes:

You are young, dont try to put yourself in a vocalfach(baritone/tenor) just yet. Try to experiment alot and find out what it can do and what you want it to do :)

The trouble if you try to put a brand on your voice early is that your mind will try to live up to that and limit you

Amen.

Luck, take advice from someone who has learned the hard way. Outside of casting for an opera, voice type is meaningless. Nominally, I have been called a tenor. But I can sing some low notes. And Jens, originally labeled a baritone or even a low baritone, can sing my entire range, and then some.

I used to be hung up on voice types. Now, I just don't care. If I can do a song, fine. If not, fine.

Make good sounds, on pitch, be amazing.