Linda Ronstadts Growl

Rate this topic

MDEW

it seems all the great ones are classically trained.

I am sure that she is classically trained but I do not think they teach that growl for Opera.

I am wondering if it has something to do with vibration of the soft palate or some other area of the throat.

Many Country singers also use that growl so it seems that it can be something anyone is able to do and can be learned.

False fold growls. When a girl is mad and goes "ughhh" the sound is produced from false folds and to me it was much easier to find that "vocal fry growl" which occurs at true folds.

It feels like... you're a lion lol! Really just go "ughhh" like something totally upset you, thats exactly the technique she is using but combining it with true folds and intense support.

mdew well, I am a fan now, thats all I know.

How are you working currently? If you overdo forward placement, more in the direction of twang/Ehrr, something similar will happen, maybe usefull to emulate?

The problem is that she raises hell without it, and thats where the quality of the effect comes from.

What is happening there is that she is awesome :).

mdew well, I am a fan now, thats all I know.

How are you working currently? If you overdo forward placement, more in the direction of twang/Ehrr, something similar will happen, maybe usefull to emulate?

The problem is that she raises hell without it, and thats where the quality of the effect comes from.

What is happening there is that she is awesome :).

:) Agreed. And some would call her a country singer and not give her a listen because of it. So sad. :/ FOR THEM. :D

that gal can sing anything....anything....

her idol was maria callas. i love how beautifully she shapes her throat (vowels).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFRRYyrx7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvXPBC0t6Mk

It's not the body image that really changed. It's her music. She is of mixed heritage, mexican and german. Her last name is german but her first name is spanish for "beautiful."

Quite some time ago, she shifted to making primarly spanish music. She seemed happy with that change and wanted to celebrate her mexican heritage. And mexicans are a beautiful and generous people. And know the value of working hard.

There is a stereo-type of many mexicans riding in one vehicle. And yes, they do. they are car-pooling (a very green thing to do) on the way to build your house, pool, office building, whatever it is that you want built.

I tell people I am half white, half black, and half mexican. And the mexican part is mi Corazon.