Not the same after surgery...

Rate this topic

josephine

I was told to repost this from my member profile. It's been a month and I'm still not singing. I still don't have a proper diagnosis of my throat either:

I've been singing since I was a child. I had some training in my teens, pursued a career as a singer/songwriter with some success. I was enjoying a mature voice with flexibility, dynamics, strength...The I had a day surgery where they put me under and intubated me. Had I been aware I would be intubated I would not have had the surgery. My throat has been on fire ever since. I tried to continue talking and singing not too long after my surgery. After a few months I realized I was still hoarse and my singing voice severely altered. I did my best to meet gig and teaching obligations until a couple of months ago when a friend of mine who is a vocal coach told me I needed to full stop on singing and talking. I went on a diet of very clean eating and have not been working. If I do talk, it hurts, and pain lasts through the next day. I' ve also noticed lately my lymph nodes are swollen, and there is pain near my collar bone. Needless to say, I'm crushed. Singing is me.

There is no doctor in my city who can really help me (they don't know what to do with singers) They have me signed up for group speech therapy and at the first session the therapist was appalled I was practicing silence. It's all very confusing and I'm hoping to find helpful info here. I guess my biggest question is, will my voice ever come back?

Very sad.

Very sorry to hear this.

May I ask, if the doctor could not help you, why were you sent to the speech therapist? Did the ent look at it? (Scope) what is the diagnosis? Its one thing that the doctor dont know about singing voice, but if you have problems to talk...

Anyways dont despair and look for treatment, contact Joanna if you can. It may be that you are just fighting a learned compensation you got from the not optimal singing/teaching period. Speech therapy can fix it :).

But you really need to be scoped and a diagnosis.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, and the suggestion of Joanna.

The ENT looked at my chords. Appointments happen slowly in Canada, so it was well after surgery. He did not, however, do a stroboscopy (sp?) as the machine is broken. All he said was that tension in my left chord implied there had been an injury. I just know my facility to speak sing is seriously altered. I've lost low register, fluidity, flixibility...and am sore/hoarse after brief bouts of speaking. I'm hopeful the speech therapy will help with the speaking. The therapist believes the singing will follow the improvement in speaking...

Thanks for the feedback, and the suggestion of Joanna.

The ENT looked at my chords. Appointments happen slowly in Canada, so it was well after surgery. He did not, however, do a stroboscopy (sp?) as the machine is broken. All he said was that tension in my left chord implied there had been an injury. I just know my facility to speak sing is seriously altered. I've lost low register, fluidity, flixibility...and am sore/hoarse after brief bouts of speaking. I'm hopeful the speech therapy will help with the speaking. The therapist believes the singing will follow the improvement in speaking...

I wonder why so slow? I know that Canada, depending on what part of Canada (Brit Can?) has nationalized health care and less of a population than even the US. I thought nationalized health care was supposed to make it easier for everyone to get it.

Up until recently, in the US, you could save your own money and go to a doctor when you needed to, being treated within a week. Now, we are going to have nationalized healthcare and they will increase our taxes to pay for it and so, I guess, we have long waiting periods to look toward, as well. And less money to spend on our own doctors. And,with the government deciding how much a doctor can spend on equipment, we, too, will have to wait for machines to be repaired or replaced, if at all. Or the government may decide that being able to sing or speak is not as important as other health issues and limit what treatments can be provided when diagnosed.

And we won't have a choice. It's in the law that was "passed." Failure to enroll and pay for the nationalized healthcare will result in prison, as in federal prison, minimum 5 years, no parole, and a fine of up to $25,000 USD. Companies that do not provide insurance to employees will be taxed an additional 8 percent of gross. How do I know this? I am manager for the company I work for. And taxes will increase for all of us, from me, down to the lowest paid helper.

I think I would have preferred keeping my own money so that I could have enrolled in a health service account, which is a managed investment account. A free market instrument that would allow what you invest to return at a higher percentage, and still be tax free as long as it is applied to medical and health care.

Sorry to drift. It just concerns me that you cannot get the care that you need and we appear to be headed in the same direction.