For the CVT guys: difference between MLN and Edge

Rate this topic

benny82

I still keep wondering what the difference is between those two modes. Is it just intensity (volume). And if it is, what volume do you need to turn MLN into Edge/Overdrive in the high part of your voice.

Just listen to the high notes of the "Hero" example Robert posted yesterday. How can you go any higher than that in terms of volume/intensity?

Additionally, here is a recording (bad quality, mobile phone) of me doing some high note stuff. What would you say is the mode?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69231116/Sprachnotiz%2B0047.aac

"Just listen to the high notes of the "Hero" example Robert posted yesterday. How can you go any higher than that in terms of volume/intensity?"

It's hard to tell much about the volume and the on that video because of the mic, reverb and the clipping in the recording, but I would guess it's edge because of the amount of energy he put into it. Although neutral can also be loud at high pitches. It would be easier to tell if there's metal or not on a recording with no effects and in a non-echoey room.

BTW edge-like neutral goes smoothly into edge as you increase the volume and support energy, it won't be a sudden jump where it switches on.

Can't download your example for some reason. I will try again later.

What robert does there falls under overdrive and edge, im almost 100% sure about that. That intensity can also be found in mln but it usually enters the voice above C5.

Your example i dunno the mic clips like hell so there is no saying, im guessing the highnotes are mln

If I've understood correctly most singers usually switch from edge to MLN above a certain note (I think E5 but it might be higher, maybe Jens knows) because there is little difference in the sound and MLN requires less work.

If I've understood correctly most singers usually switch from edge to MLN above a certain note (I think E5 but it might be higher, maybe Jens knows) because there is little difference in the sound and MLN requires less work.

Yes, I think that's correct. The high note in the recording is an E5 I think and from the intensity I put into it I would think it is Edge. However, I can produce the note much easier with a lighter mass setting (which I think would be MLN) and it sounds almost exactly the same.

Below E5 however, MLN does not sound as "weighty" as the coordination I use in those recordings. But maybe I'm somewhere in between, as if volume is the main difference, there should be a space of transition between MLN and Edge that does not produce Creaking.

Currently I do anything above G4 in MLN and I'm trying to get a heavier mechanism going between G4 and E5, following Roberts footsteps ;-)

Benny,

Here is a clip where I switch between Neutral, MLN and then Edge. I did it acoustically and at the same distance from my lousy mic (so turn down the volume on your media player) but you can clearly hear the difference:

https://www.box.com/s/a20ixueexvyzsyenpk3r

Hope it helps.

Benny,

Here is a clip where I switch between Neutral, MLN and then Edge. I did it acoustically and at the same distance from my lousy mic (so turn down the volume on your media player) but you can clearly hear the difference:

https://www.box.com/s/a20ixueexvyzsyenpk3r

Hope it helps.

Thanks, really cool clip.

I should point out that edge like neutral isn't the only MLN anymore. There's also curbing-like and overdrive-like neutral now. They were always there of course. It's pretty obvious what they are. If you do an overdrive EH but turn down the volume so the metallic sound goes away but the character is still pretty similar (it'll be like a "soft shout") then that would be overdrive-like neutral.

Benny, can you fix your link? I would like to help out but I need to hear what you are doing.

Link does still work for me, don't know what I could do to fix it. Maybe your browser doesn't want to open it, because it's AAC fromat?