Support and Sitting vs Standing

Rate this topic

eggplantbren

About a month ago I had a great lesson where I finally understood what supporting properly felt like. This gave me a great deal more freedom in my singing and more range and all that good stuff. However, I have noticed that I can only apply this new knowledge while standing up. If I try to sing in the car, for example, I end up having more constrictions and it feels like it did before I learned how to support properly.

I know Robert is a BIG advocate of standing up while singing/training, and I thought this was mostly for psychological reasons (makes you put more energy into everything, etc). Are there physical reasons why support is easier/more effective if you're standing up? I feel like even if I try really hard to do the right motions (ribs expanded, navel in, solar plexus out, curve the back, etc), sitting down just makes it ineffective.

Yeah, sitting down makes life a bit harder, and the last paragraph, the energy part, is a big piece of the problem.

But if you train it sitting down later, it works too. If you wanna play piano and sing for example you have no choice. I think in the end it becomes more "different" than actually "harder".

I don't know the science behind the difference but there is a difference.

In my experience standing up is generally better, especially for more powerful singing.

But some more delicate things, like messa di voce, sometimes seem to work better sitting down, for me. Perhaps it helps relieve some tensions and achieve more muscle independence or something?

There is almost definitely some kind of physical difference in terms of the ability to support that makes standing up better, but the benefits of sitting down for gentler stuff may just be psychological, for all I know.

But you'll see professional singers prefer one over the other, either sitting or standing.

I think, sitting or standing, alignment of posture to allow active involvement of breath support is what is important. That is, if you are going to sing while sitting, sit straight up, not slumped. In Felipe's videos, he is sometimes sitting. But notice his posture - aligned, shoulders neutral, abs free to do what they must.

Same with standing. Stand straight, not slumped.

Because of time constraints I put in 25 minutes of practice on my way home in the car. It's no problem once you get used to it. You have to activate the intercostals and support from below same as when you are standing. It feels a little awkward at first but it can be just as easy. When I'm home practicing I'm always standing - that is my preferred way.

Because of time constraints I put in 25 minutes of practice on my way home in the car. It's no problem once you get used to it. You have to activate the intercostals and support from below same as when you are standing. It feels a little awkward at first but it can be just as easy. When I'm home practicing I'm always standing - that is my preferred way.

I am glad I am not the only one. I wonder how many people are aghast at seeing this middle-aged guy singing while driving the autobahn, I mean the Rayburn Tollway? Oh well, like the country song says, "I'm old enough to know better, still too young to care."