Good high range?

Rate this topic

great, but the starting note is a b flat.

Yes Michael Bolton does it one step lower. I just didn't know at that time... Anyway I wasn't trying to do his version, just wanted to sing some high notes and I thought C5 was a good place to start ;)

Nick

Steven, am I too loud? or is it possible that I may not be as loud as you think? Why should I lower the volume? Could you elaborate on this please?

Nick

Nick: Sure, happy to elaborate.

There is no way that I can know how really loud you were in that recording. However, it comes across to my ear as very intense, too intense for a the beginning of a ballad. If you start full-bore, it gives you nowhere to go. I suggested 'dialing it back 1 notch' as a request to hear just a little bit more of the lyricism in your voice as you start the song.

This particular line and pitch pattern is the 'hook' in this song, and it occurs multiple times. To keep audience interest, each time should be different. Dynamic contrast is one of the tools you have to accomplish this.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks Steven, I agree with you :). However I was simply working on my high notes here. The song was secondary, just happened to be that one. Just thought instead of going "mum mum mum" I could sing that line!

But for sure, I'll work the lighter dynamics as this is what I'm mainly interested in anyway.

Nick

Steven speaketh great wisdom, verily I say unto thee.

I used to "belt" "Dust in the Wind". Geno convinced me to try singing it quieter, instead of trying to fill the Cotton Bowl, without a pa. And it resulted in a version that many people liked better. I have been where you are. You start out blistering the paint off the walls and lose any change in dynamics.

Steven speaketh great wisdom, verily I say unto thee.

I used to "belt" "Dust in the Wind". Geno convinced me to try singing it quieter, instead of trying to fill the Cotton Bowl, without a pa. And it resulted in a version that many people liked better. I have been where you are. You start out blistering the paint off the walls and lose any change in dynamics.

Does Dust in the Wind have anything higher than a G4?

Does Dust in the Wind have anything higher than a G4?

Doesn't really matter because the highest note was not the point of my post. Does the highest note make a difference to you or are you just questioning my response to the what Steven Fraser was saying? And, if so, why?

Some sleeping dogs should be left alone.