TVS Application

Rate this topic

D.Starr

Been doing TVS for awhile now I want to start applying what I'm learning to everyday singing.

I understand the phonations shouldn't be applied to singing but then how I should I go about singing?

The phonations ARE applied to singing. Who told you they weren't?

What version of pillars do you have? I know that everything from 2.0 on has a very train-like-you-sing approach. Possibly the earlier stuff too, I don't know since I don't have it.

It's the exact same stuff when you go to sing, really. Just employ the techniques while singing. If you having trouble doing so, drill the hard phrases, even note by note if necessary, and tweak the vowels, respiration, larynx, etc. until it works.

It maybe that I'm taking the twang a little too hard up into the higher registers.

It feels more like a vocal switch from the soft palate to really forward placed and edgey. It doesn't suit my style too well. Doesn't connect very well either.

It maybe that I'm taking the twang a little too hard up into the higher registers.

It feels more like a vocal switch from the soft palate to really forward placed and edgey. It doesn't suit my style too well. Doesn't connect very well either.

That's why rob has recently been emphasizing what he explains in the beginning of this video:

Also, a low larynx, high soft palate, yawn-like setup will really help you kill the quacking...try using that as a foundation, and then gradually work a teeny hint of twang in...messa di voce and wind & release onsets are your friend here

Just go for the sounds you want, how you want to sound. Technique is there to build your voice make it strong, and set your voice up.

Ive never used the sounds i make on scales or in exercises when i sing, it's just not the same sounds. Technique is usually just a simplification of singng to handle certain areas or strengthen parts o the voice.

You wont sing gug gug gug in a song

Or do sirens exept for like a handfull of diffrent metal and rock songs ect ect

Nah i disagree nick, some might need to sing gug. Some need an other sound, still i regard it as building coordination and not something you should focus on while singing.

Meaning the application should be so trained and ingrained in the muscle memory that you shouldnt need to think about it.

But this is also individual, for some it works great just to sing like they do an exercise, it has never worked for me however.

I think exercises is there to make stuff easyer such as:

The bride

vowels

Power

Soft volume

ect ect

in singing you wont have these conditions the exercises provide :)

Cheers

I think that is kind of what I'm implying.

I understand all these exercises are just for strengthing and muscle memory co-ordination and no one would use the exercises in normal singing.

I having to switch to a pushed twang to get up into some areas and it becomes slightly clostrophobic because of the lack of freedom.and being able to float the note.

I've switched to allowing the sound to go back and up and slightly cover it. The twang is really piercing and loud and not necessary for the R&B sound I'm going for.

I will have to post some examples. I can easily twang up to a high C. Singing wise I'm choking or having to squeeze at f4 now. Used to be E4.

I think that is kind of what I'm implying.

I understand all these exercises are just for strengthing and muscle memory co-ordination and no one would use the exercises in normal singing.

I having to switch to a pushed twang to get up into some areas and it becomes slightly clostrophobic because of the lack of freedom.and being able to float the note.

I've switched to allowing the sound to go back and up and slightly cover it. The twang is really piercing and loud and not necessary for the R&B sound I'm going for.

I will have to post some examples. I can easily twang up to a high C. Singing wise I'm choking or having to squeeze at f4 now. Used to be E4.

D.Starr...PLEASE...for your own good...just save up your money for ONE skype lesson with Rob.

That's all it takes. I'm almost certain he could get the duck out of your voice in one lesson. At the very least he will definitely show you how to practice in a way that will help reduce the excess twang/quacking, which, if you keep practicing it as he's directed, will bring those results, probably within a few weeks.

Regarding application, its necessary to study songs using technique and effectively applying it to sing, the accoustic adjustments necessary will not happen without intervention, and your brain will try to go back to whatever you used before in a song.

Even after a lot of experience, songs that you did in the past with poor coordinations will trigger all the bad habits, awesome study btw.

Owen advice is spot on, use the orientation. Its very hard to brake from habitual problems alone, or better saying, its hard to detect them...

The adjustment for the F4 for example, it can be something simple as breathing more before the note, or not openning the mouth so much/so little. Or it can be an issue on the registration that will have to be worked with exercises. It can even be something you are doing poorly on the notes bellow, or lack of intensity above it.