How to develop a soulful rasp/voice?

Rate this topic

rurokenji

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how i can develop a sort of soulful rasp/voice like john legend? I heard nat king cole achieved his by smoking? I'm not a smoker so won't be willingly to take smoking anytime soon lol. Any other tips?

practice emulating your favorites. Its a combination of getting it right and going for it. I listened to a lot of Rod Stewart and Sam Cooke and David Coverdale to achieve it. For me its loosening the grip from the clean vocal a little

bit relaxing and letting the air through also rattling the back of the throat. You gotta experiment dont be afraid:)

I think it has a lot more to do with emotion than technique. Get the right auditory imagery and the rasp will come. If you try to approach it too technically it may sound cool, for instance something suitable in metal or rock music, but not come across as soulful.

Listen to those kinds of singers and imitate, and believe that you can imitate them. If you can't imitate one singer's type of rasp, try another. But stop thinking "my voice is just not meant to rasp" and instead, think, my voice has a natural rasp I just gotta find it. And it's going to be unique to you.

This is all the same as with vocal distortion, really. The only difference is with rasp you're going to want it to be more primitive and emotion driven. For that reason, it can be less healthy and you should use it sparingly.

Singing soulfully is more about texture. Let some air through in your tone most of the time. Compress harder at intense moments, use dynamics, use vocal effects here and there. Variation is key.

But it takes soul to sing soulfully...I'm still not great at it, but I really think that is the key. Any little soulful moments I've ever had as a singer, they were emotion-triggered or maybe triggered by trying to imitate a soul sound. But it's not like you just make xx technical adjustments and bam you sound soulful. It's more psychological than physical.

Hope that helps. I am by no means a good soul singer, but I can sing with emotion, and it takes emotion to do so...that's almost identical to singing with soul. Soulful singers are just singing with raw emotion, it's that simple.

I believe I've found some rasp by twanging extra hard to get a rattling sound, not unlike what Daniel described. I don't think I'm perfect at it yet, by any stretch of the imagination... sometimes I can feel that the rasp isn't coming from the "right place" and I have to consciously readjust to not hurt myself.

Trying to get soulful... practice some Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke, etc. That'd do it. It's working for me, at least! I did not think or know I could sing in a "soulful" raspy manner until the last few weeks.

Yes, the kargyrra is done with the adduction of the false vocal folds. It is interesting though that you can get a similar sound with the vocal folds themselves using creaking which is used to sing strohbass. Here's a great clip showing the difference:

practice emulating your favorites. Its a combination of getting it right and going for it. I listened to a lot of Rod Stewart and Sam Cooke and David Coverdale to achieve it. For me its loosening the grip from the clean vocal a little

bit relaxing and letting the air through also rattling the back of the throat. You gotta experiment dont be afraid:)

Yeah, that's what i am currently doing. i have a long list of my favorite artist and i spend at least week playing thier songs non stop and trying to imitate them. Yeah, i have noticed there's a sort of relaxing effect on the vocals when trying to achieve their sort of effect

I think it has a lot more to do with emotion than technique. Get the right auditory imagery and the rasp will come. If you try to approach it too technically it may sound cool, for instance something suitable in metal or rock music, but not come across as soulful.

Listen to those kinds of singers and imitate, and believe that you can imitate them. If you can't imitate one singer's type of rasp, try another. But stop thinking "my voice is just not meant to rasp" and instead, think, my voice has a natural rasp I just gotta find it. And it's going to be unique to you.

This is all the same as with vocal distortion, really. The only difference is with rasp you're going to want it to be more primitive and emotion driven. For that reason, it can be less healthy and you should use it sparingly.

Singing soulfully is more about texture. Let some air through in your tone most of the time. Compress harder at intense moments, use dynamics, use vocal effects here and there. Variation is key.

But it takes soul to sing soulfully...I'm still not great at it, but I really think that is the key. Any little soulful moments I've ever had as a singer, they were emotion-triggered or maybe triggered by trying to imitate a soul sound. But it's not like you just make xx technical adjustments and bam you sound soulful. It's more psychological than physical.

Hope that helps. I am by no means a good soul singer, but I can sing with emotion, and it takes emotion to do so...that's almost identical to singing with soul. Soulful singers are just singing with raw emotion, it's that simple.

Hmm, that's a good way of thinking about it. Believing i have my own rasp but i just need find it. Yeah, that's why i have been singing along to a range of artists. I understand that i won't exactly get the same texture as my favorite artists due to the fact that i am from london and have a english accent lol but i believe i can get something similar. For me, i wouldn't mind having a little of that soul effect or rasp with my voice. My voice just sounds well too poppy lol. Thats what friends(one in which is a professional singer) lol. Recently, i have been singing along to my favorite soul artists and i have noticed my voice is gradually developing a little sort of soul egde to it.Slowly but surely. Hahah, i used to think there was a sort of hidden technique to get that soulful edge to a singing voice lol. Thanks

Hahah, i used to think there was a sort of hidden technique to get that soulful edge to a singing voice lol. Thanks

Well there is. Just because you can often access it by thinking certain things or practicing with certain songs doesn't mean there isn't a mechanism behind the different sound that you could have also found in another way.

I believe I've found some rasp by twanging extra hard to get a rattling sound, not unlike what Daniel described. I don't think I'm perfect at it yet, by any stretch of the imagination... sometimes I can feel that the rasp isn't coming from the "right place" and I have to consciously readjust to not hurt myself.

Trying to get soulful... practice some Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke, etc. That'd do it. It's working for me, at least! I did not think or know I could sing in a "soulful" raspy manner until the last few weeks.

Just saw your marvin gaye cover. wow, dude thats pretty good!Yeah, thats what i am trying to do, right now. Just singing and imitating the classics, marvin gaye, sam cooke, al green etc. You have a soul vibe going there, haha. Keep it up!

Well there is. Just because you can often access it by thinking certain things or practicing with certain songs doesn't mean there isn't a mechanism behind the different sound that you could have also found in another way.

I agree with this. Though IMO without emotion behind it it won't sound as soulful as it could be. But yeah, sounds are sounds, any of them can be controlled technically.

Rasp tip of the day from me:

a) Try to imagine that the sound is produced from a very small place in your throat (and do so just before each phrase),

B) don't open your vowels too much, especially in the passagio or higher (or you'll end up shouting with no rasp and possibly lose your voice) and then also

c) imagine singing to a person that's far away (you'll have to slightly increase/project the volume).

Cheers.