Critique me please... (Snuff by Slipknot cover)

Rate this topic

I've been considering trying out for a local indie/alternative band and just wanted an opinion on my voice (more about potential rather than the actual performance) . This isn't my strongest song, but I enjoy singing it anyway.

hi andi, thats not bad, however you lack some volume in your voice, also the high parts should have more power from below! do you take any singing lessons? i think you hit the pitch quite well and the feeling for the song is also there (of course there is room for improvement), but what i notice most is that there is not enough power and passion behind. If you don't take already some and you have the oportunity to take lessons i would advice you to do so, because I think you are missing some basic techniques. But I also think that you could pretty fast sound like you want to if you have the right teacher! :) BR, Chris

hi andi, thats not bad, however you lack some volume in your voice, also the high parts should have more power from below! do you take any singing lessons? i think you hit the pitch quite well and the feeling for the song is also there (of course there is room for improvement), but what i notice most is that there is not enough power and passion behind. If you don't take already some and you have the oportunity to take lessons i would advice you to do so, because I think you are missing some basic techniques. But I also think that you could pretty fast sound like you want to if you have the right teacher! :) BR, Chris

Thanks Chris, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and reply :)

No, I've never had any singing lessons at all. I never put much thought into the idea of singing until now, to be honest. If I can find any vocal teachers near where I am, I'll definitely consider getting lessons.

Thanks again for your opinion :)

I liked it. And it was refreshing because you don't sound like Corey. He has a more baritonic and heavier voice than you have. So, your version is good precisely because it does not invite comparison and should be judged on its own merit.

Granted, others are going to give you advice on how to sound like Corey because it seems like, in popular and rock music, the original singer becomes the sound ideal to aim for.

Not so, in my book. I thought this was good.

I liked it. And it was refreshing because you don't sound like Corey. He has a more baritonic and heavier voice than you have. So, your version is good precisely because it does not invite comparison and should be judged on its own merit.

Granted, others are going to give you advice on how to sound like Corey because it seems like, in popular and rock music, the original singer becomes the sound ideal to aim for.

Not so, in my book. I thought this was good.

Thank you for your kind words :)