I'm approaching this as if I'm retarded

Rate this topic

c2kaos

So my thing is that I have no musical background. All my teenage years were spent learning body mechanics for sports, I'm a very technical person who firmly believes solid technique can trump raw talent on a day to day basis. I've been trying for just over a year now to learn the musical language and terms so that I may communicate fluently with other musicians and grow into a vocalist with something to offer. I'm influenced pretty much by all 90's rock being 25 years old. I love JD, Corey Taylor and Maynard.

So here are my questions that I've been made to feel stupid asking other musicians, hopefully i can get some real answers here.

1) How loud do singers actually project for a mic to pick up their voice above other instruments?

2) They say singing should feel natural or its just a matter of fully sounding out each word to hit each note.

3) I'm having trouble at times knowing how my throat should feel, what position the front and back of my tongue should be in on any given words or notes.

4) When someone says open up your throat what should I exactly feel or focus on to accomplish this?

any tips or advice are greatly appreciated

So here are my questions that I've been made to feel stupid asking other musicians, hopefully i can get some real answers here.

1) How loud do singers actually project for a mic to pick up their voice above other instruments?

Ronnie James Dio sang only a slight above speaking level.

2) They say singing should feel natural or its just a matter of fully sounding out each word to hit each note.

It's a matter of vowels, Work each vowel through a scale, seeking full resonance on each note, starting from the top down. Vowels in this order: oo, ee, eh, oh, ah. At least as prescribed by Anthony Frisell.

3) I'm having trouble at times knowing how my throat should feel, what position the front and back of my tongue should be in on any given words or notes.

4) When someone says open up your throat what should I exactly feel or focus on to accomplish this?

Ffrangcon-Davies - "When I sing, I feel as if I have no throat at all."

the redneck mantra from ronws -

motion, when necessary, in the abs.

Note in the head.

Nothing in the throat, ever, and amen.

So my thing is that I have no musical background. All my teenage years were spent learning body mechanics for sports, I'm a very technical person who firmly believes solid technique can trump raw talent on a day to day basis. I've been trying for just over a year now to learn the musical language and terms so that I may communicate fluently with other musicians and grow into a vocalist with something to offer. I'm influenced pretty much by all 90's rock being 25 years old. I love JD, Corey Taylor and Maynard.

any tips or advice are greatly appreciated

1. It depends. You just can't mumble. Anywhere from soft speech volume to full on shouting may be usable depending on the loudness of the instrumentation.

2. I don't really know what you mean but no it's neither of those things IMO. Not natural and not only about enunciation and pitch.

3. A vocal teacher can help you with this, it would be hard to figure out alone. but there is no right or wrong way, just better or worse depending on your stylistic preferences.

4. Lowered larynx, raised soft palate, maybe some adjustments and tongue and jaw position, and general release of constriction. Takes serious training preferably under the direction of a great vocal teacher. Again don't expect to figure it out alone.