Caravan/Van Morrison

• TMV World Legacy Member

I know it's very old school....but Van Morrison is my vocal guru for sure and The Last Waltz was my musical muse for a good portion of my early career. I tried to capture the raw live vibe(warts and all) that Van the Man always inspires in me.

https://www.box.com/s/q0qcy9xksi8tvrfak0d3

Analog - like I said earlier, you could hold your own professionally. I'm a big Van fan and I thought this was excellent. I loved the backing vocals at the end.

As it stands I now have a John Whitten album on my phone because every time I listen to something on box it downloads it to my music library - I'm looking forward to it growing!

Can I ask what your recording setup is?

Now that was something!!! The thing I like about Van Morrison is all the energy he has in his singing. And that same energy came through with you. Your sound was as close to Van as anyone would want.

As a beginning I singer I still have to ask, Did you feel as if you were singing those high notes in "Head voce" or an extension of "Chest"? I still have to go into a whimpy Head voice to get those notes. And forget about any kind of distortion. It is just not there for me.

But you really rocked it.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Ha...guys you have no idea. I've been called "mini-Van" for many many years. When I was in my 20 's I just kind of gave up because I felt like Van had done everything I could ever want to do musically. I mean, what the hell could I offer? I persevered because, well, that's what we do. Van IS my one and only vocal God though :lol: But...No Guru No Method No Teacher...I'm far too old for any of that shit at this point...just do it.

And yes....BIG props to Hobo Jim on backing tracks. Great karaoke version :lol:

Now that was something!!! The thing I like about Van Morrison is all the energy he has in his singing. And that same energy came through with you. Your sound was as close to Van as anyone would want.

As a beginning I singer I still have to ask, Did you feel as if you were singing those high notes in "Head voce" or an extension of "Chest"? I still have to go into a whimpy Head voice to get those notes. And forget about any kind of distortion. It is just not there for me.

But you really rocked it.

MDEW,

man it's all blended at this point. I've been doing this for so long that it just blends together. But yes...there's a definite "release" above an E4 or so, but I'm not in what I would call a "hooty" head voice. It feels more compressed than anything I would have called "chest voice' before training....but more "released" for sure.

Can I ask what your recording setup is?

Sure. It's basic as hell. I bought a macbook pro last month. I bought a Scarlett 2i2 interface which the monitor function doesn't work at all on but I used my old Beyerdynamic mic on for Cochise and Iris but it was muddy as hell and was a nightmare because of no monitoring ability. I bought a Sure Beta 58 in the process, but it was too tinny for me and wasn't usable because of the poor monitoring capabilities of the 2i2. I then exchanged the beta for a Blue Yeti usb and was having major problems with that too, but jacked around with Garageband enough to pull a decent sound. I recorded Caravan w/ Yeti and was somewhat satisfied. I know it's still a bit tinny/tunnely but (*auto edit*) it...it will have to do for now :D