PLEASE CRITIQUE COVER AC/DC - Back in Black & Highway to hell

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all,!

Here's a little cover of two songs of AC/DC - Back in Black & Highway to Hell.

http://soundcloud.com/mamade/cover-acdc-back-in-black

http://soundcloud.com/mamade/cover-acdc-highway-to-hell

All critique is welcome! So, any comments and/or tips will be very appreciated.

Regards

It's been a while since someone has covered my theme song, "Highway to Hell." You were a little pitchy at the beginning but got better at the end, probably because you were staying away from the high stuff, by that time. I see you changed some of the melody. And I think you had the right feel and emotion for the song. Of the two, I liked it better. But it's my theme song and I think you did well enough.

"Back in Black" was good, too, though I noticed you changed melody even more in that one. At least you are covering the song, rather than trying to sound like the original, which would be a tribute.

Was this a rehearsal tape or a club performance?

Of the two, you probably did technically better with BiB but I have a preference for HtH.

The band as a whole sounds pretty good. I think you can do better with the singing. It seems that when singing AC/DC singers tend to do one of two things; either try to sound like Bon Scott / Brian Johnson or they try to sing the songs in Full Chest Voice.

The problem is both Bon Scott and Brian Johnson have a naturally high pitch Squeaky Munchkin sound. This sound never comes out right from a normal singer. The other problem; singing this in full voice you can never understand any of the words. Which is the problem here. Go ahead and sing these songs with a connected head voice. It will sound better and people will be able to understand what you are singing.

You can do it. It will sound good. And your voice will thank you.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

mamade, in my opinion both your chest and the high screams sound really good. The problem to me is that they are totally disconnected from each other. If only you could bridge that gap and blend them together in the range G4-D5, it would be totally impressive!

Right now you even changed the melody in the chorus at "hey hey hey hey". You sang it way up high in pure head, no mix. If you had sang the original melody, which is A4 B4 D5 B4, your pure "scream" headvoice would have been weak on the low notes, and on the other hand the chest would have been hard to pull on the high notes.

I get the feeling that you could benefit from Ken Tamplin? He pulls chest extremely high and then manages to mix it with head even way up higher and go all the way through to the soprano range like this.

Anyway, just my first thoughts. Can you do a siren from, for example from E4 to E5 with "Eh" vowel, starting with chest and gradually thinning/releasing/stretching into headvoice, with no break?

The attitude and potential is there but I suggest that you play closer attention to the melody. F.ex. just the first word has a much lower pitch in your version than in the original. The song starts with an E5 note on the word "back". Freaking high start for a song! Lol. But you're singing a much lower note. Then, later in the song, you prove that you can definitely hit notes as high as Brian Johnson and with a similar rasp, so .... just work more on doing the right melody and be very pitch concious. Cheers.

No.. terrible... sounds like you are trying to hard to sound like him, which just makes you sound like you are screaming all the time while going through puberty..

;-). pitchy, off key, no timbre, glottal isn't effective...

Okay so it sounds rough...probably a combination of what everyone has mentioned. You have the energy but you're struggling so it doesn't really come out in a positive form.

I'd suggest, more than anything, learning to bridge into the head voice at a lower pitch. Your high Cs in chest voice on HtH are not consistent enough. You are okay up to maybe A4 but it would also help if the A4 was lighter so you can more easily bridge into head voice above that.

Also the higher head voice screams just sound pinched or something...

You would definitely benefit from training. Ken Tamplin, Daniel Formica and/or Rob Lunte would be good coaches to help you out with this.