Great vocals!

Rate this topic

Rachsing

MDEW, But Tom has the coolest mic ;)

I saw a video with Tom and while he was doing his gyrations the head of his microphone went flying off the set.

He almost hit someone with it but he did not miss a beat or a note. His singing was Flawless.

Now that I have rewatched this video. It may have been right before this song.

Do you think their differences are really just the choice of vowels? Tom singing on the Ah and stevie clinging more to the Ih? Or is there way more to their sound. Some would say genetics. I would say technique, a total different approach.

Also if roles were reversed Tom singing curbing and Stevie singing overdrive Would they even sound good given their genetic make up?

folks, i know you'll think i'm crazy, but i think another component to a tone like tom jones' was his desire to bed a lot of women as well.

he thought sexy!!! i read somewhere where he admits it.

we all have the power within us to get to a similar tone.....i believe.

Doesn't sound crazy at all. Tone (and especially CREDIBLE tone) definitely comes from mindset. Of course you need a solid technique as a fundament, but the emotional message is created by tiny details that can't be learned as a technique.

I was just thinking the other day I don't focus enough on impressing girls with my singing.

It worked with my drumming...:D

I recall Jens saying in another thread a while back something along the lines of the impressing women factor motivates him to not screw up

And for sure, its the tone that's gonna get to them more than the range.:cool:

folks, i know you'll think i'm crazy, but i think another component to a tone like tom jones' was his desire to bed a lot of women as well.

he thought sexy!!! i read somewhere where he admits it.

we all have the power within us to get to a similar tone.....i believe.

I totally agree that your emotion and intent come through whether you like it or not. But I don't know if thinking "OOH Sexy, I must impress the ladies" will help with singing on pitch. It may get you enough phone numbers that you stop worrying about pitch and relax and have some fun.

Then again getting your mind on other things may loosen you up enough to stay on pitch.

Edit side note. I realize I am not a woman or inclined to think of men as sexy.... I just could never imagine Tom's dancing as being thought of as sexy. interesting, funny but not sexy.

i admit that my "tone" is definitely derived and taken from various artists whose sexy, blusey or anguished "sound" i liked.

when i put them all on a sheet of paper, they overlap with other's on the list.

for example lou gramm liked paul rodgers and i like both of them too.

but there are also guys i would simply no desire to pull from:

willie nelson

bob dylan

john lennon (sorry lennon fans)

axl rose (sorry axl fans)

all greats, but there's a sound/tone in their voices that just doesn't move me to integrate into mine.

The list goes on and on with my influences, Paul Rogers and Lou are up there with others like Elton John, Paul McCartney, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce....... Willy and Bob are in there too. Mostly for their story telling style not tone.

sometimes the wrong one comes out at the wrong time. :/

mdew, i love the matured elton john voice.. the early voice not quite as much.

also, some guys just had this cool phrasing and inflection that i wanted so much to emulate.

here's one i love:

this a royal bitch to sing like this.....these are the kind of singers that every singer should be exposed to

I used to love listening to saturday night oldies. (Back when the oldies refered to the 50's and 60's.)

Now the oldies are Van Halen, Warrant and Metalica. I've even heard Nickelback refered to as Oldies.