Slightly sore throat after practice

Rate this topic

Willise

Hey everyone,

While practicing over the last couple of days, I have been experimenting with holding on to the compression I feel in my throat when doing an NG (maybe the correct term is twang, but that resonance feeling of the NG sound is what I'm talking about). As I rise higher, I takes some effort, not a huge amount, to hold on to that compression feeling. And my higher notes do feel less breathy as a result of it.

However, today, my throat is very slightly sore, just under my larynx - the area directly above the collarbone. Now it is not painful at all - just feels "different".

I've chalked this up to the fact that I am working those muscles by holding the compression and they may get a little sore until they can do it without being slightly forced. Does this sound about right?

I want to continue down this road, but if the sensation I feel is wrong, then I'll have to figure it out some other way. It just seems logical that building a muscle takes some tension and may result in soreness from time to time. I can't seem to get into the head voice without using any tension at all at this point, but when the muscles adapt, it will happen effortlessly.

Thanks!!

However, today, my throat is very slightly sore, just under my larynx - the area directly above the collarbone. Now it is not painful at all - just feels "different".

Aha. If there is no pain, have no fear. IMHO and of course this is an oversimplification. But I think what you are talking about is probably just a normal symptom of good training.

Willise,

Does it feel like a lump-sensation in the throat? If so it sounds like fatigue in the depressor muscles (the ones that lower the larynx).

That is exactly what it feels like!!

So that is a good thing, right? Shows I am finally getting somewhere?

It's funny I was just thinking about exactly what it is in my throat that gets a little tired from working with the NG.

I've been working the NG hard for a few months now and my voice is growing and growing, and yes I get the same sensation, a slight tiredness in throat muscle but it's just stamina being built so don't worry about it, as long as you have no other signs of tension and your voice keeps getting better.