Rise Against - Savior and/or Seether - Truth

• TMV World Legacy Member

https://soundcloud.com/tmusician/sets/vocals-beginning

Savior shows high-pitch

Truth shows some distortion

I kind of look at these as rough beginnings that I really want to improve, feedback is greatly appreciated

"Truth" was the better of the two cuts, as far as pitch control goes. Of course, it was lower.

Because that is the problem with "Savior." It sits higher in your range, and calls for more stability than you have needed before. For example, you could probably knock the crap out of covering anything by Foo Fighters. Because his high parts are all screamy and the rest is in the lower range.

However, you can do "Savior." It's just going to take more work because you are going to have to manage your breath a little more carefully up there.

Also, and this is a challenge for me, as well. I can do one song by an artist and do it well. Another song by the same artist, not always so. Melody, lyrics, consonants, places for breath takes. These are things to consider and they are outside of scales and breathing exercises.

Essentially, you have to work the song into your voice.

As you said, rough beginnings.

I think you will master "Truth" quicker than "Savior" but you already have most of "Truth" figured out.

"Truth" was the better of the two cuts, as far as pitch control goes. Of course, it was lower.

Because that is the problem with "Savior." It sits higher in your range, and calls for more stability than you have needed before. For example, you could probably knock the crap out of covering anything by Foo Fighters. Because his high parts are all screamy and the rest is in the lower range.

However, you can do "Savior." It's just going to take more work because you are going to have to manage your breath a little more carefully up there.

Also, and this is a challenge for me, as well. I can do one song by an artist and do it well. Another song by the same artist, not always so. Melody, lyrics, consonants, places for breath takes. These are things to consider and they are outside of scales and breathing exercises.

Essentially, you have to work the song into your voice.

As you said, rough beginnings.

I think you will master "Truth" quicker than "Savior" but you already have most of "Truth" figured out.

Thanks a lot Ron! Would you recommend that I practice Savior a lot, maybe going through each line and making sure it's in pitch and trying to use more support, or would you suggest I keep doing songs like Truth and work up to Savior?

It's totally cool to work on "Savior," just the way you described. Break the song down into managable parts. Then string the manageble parts together.

It just sounded like your breath was getting away from you in that one. Tame that, and the notes should tame themselves. It's a cool song and I think you can do it.

Trust me, I can get my butt whipped by songs that are totally within my range, if I have not worked them out, beforehand. Basically, you pulled a "ron." Got excited and launched into a song that may require more prep work than you needed on other songs.