Critique My Voice Please

• TMV World Legacy Member

I have uploaded my voice here:

I learned this song in about an hour and I am aware that I am off tempo in a few places. I tend to be very critical of my voice, so I noticed many errors but am curious to see what others think. I sang in choir years ago, but am always too shy to sing in front of others. I have been thinking of taking up voice lessons, just for fun. Please listen and let me know what you think!

Hi Kendroid

I couldn't hear a great deal wrong with this. Without having heard any other version of this it sounded like your pitch was spot on throughout. I detect a bit of a lisp? If you have a lisp when you talk then obviously that makes sense but if not then perhaps focus more on your diction. It also sounded like you were singing with a smile which while technically not a bad thing didn't suit the content of the song so as you get to know the song better try to put more emotion into the performance.

Another thing to watch out for is nasality which came through on some of the phrases.

I'm not going to try and give you detailed technical advice because I'm not an expert but they were just some of the things I noticed that you could try and do some work on either with a coach or by asking more questions in the technique section on here.

Overall though I thought it was pleasant to listen to and I think you have a good voice that just needs some fine tuning.

Thank you for your critique. Singing with more emotion is something I know I need to work on. I was afraid it sounded too cheerful. I've never been told that I had a lisp before, so I think that can be attributed to the poor recording quality. I used a youtube video for the background music, and a voice recorder on my phone. I will keep an ear out for that next time to see if I notice a pattern though. I really appreciate the comments! You gave me some things to think about.

I couldn't hear anything wrong. I don't know this song but it doesn't matter, because you sang it well, as far as I can hear. I got the emotion from you, and that is more important to me than how close you sound to the original.

Nor is it bad that you sang a song that I am not aware. Reminds me of when I covered the "Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin. Evidently, it is only known to Led Zep freaks like me, as no one commented on it, to any degree. Because they were simply not familiar with the song and wanted to comment by comparing to the original, no doubt.

Thing is, I have no shame and lots of chutzpah, so I will comment, even if I don't know the song or don't follow the genre closely. I am on the highway to Hell and you can take my comments with a grain of salt.

Except for that thing about me also being a member of the music buying public. And I would buy this.

So, stick with this style and don't worry about all the other advice that would be aimed at turning you into a heavy metal singer.

Keep doing what you are doing.

comments by :

ronws, king of the "good job."