Iris - Goo Goo Dolls Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

FHan, you're doing a real nice job with this. The only critique I can give is sometimes you seem a little bit behind the beat from time to time.

Jeff

I have to agree with Jeff on the timing issue. You have a really good sound for this.

I have to add you as another who makes this song sound easy.

The higher part is kicking my behind. I just cannot get it sound right.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

So I have improved my pronunciation I guess since none of you critique on that yet because that was my biggest problem in singing english song before. :D

Yeah i just noticed about the wrong timing on several parts, really thanks for the feedback. And the chorus actually im not satisfied since I'm lacking of the intensity and 'strain' tone compared to the original song, everytime i try to add more intensity it chokes my throat. :/

Good job RHan! Great cover. I have to agree with Jeff about the timing, especially on the 1st part of the song. I also have to agree with MDEW, you make the chorus sound sooooo effortless that it sounds as if you were almost whispering. Still on the chorus, I don't think it lacks "straining", but maybe a bit more of energy. "Sing it like you mean it" kind of energy. I also noticed that you "chopped" a few words. But I think it might be because English is a foreign language for you, right? You just need a little more practice with the words. It already sounds really good. Congrats! :)

I felt like I was listening to an artist and not a vocal demonstration on a vocalist forum. I liked it and I think you got personality there, it really captured me.

Edit: And you sing really well!

Yeah english isn't my native language, thanks for that feedback sir I will continue to practice more with english words :)

And really really really thankful for the encouragement from you guys, i dont know why i cant stop smiling right now. Maybe because this is the first time i get this kind of positive feedbacks. :D

maybe i do not know about singing so much but when u start a singing i said "damn sounds like oasis" so maybe it gonna be wrong advice but try oasis - waterfall. I rly want to hear u in this song. Good voice anyway.

Good start. The only things I would suggest are to clean up the enunciation even more, and also on the choruses, you are doing this thing where when you get to that high note, the first one is kind of soft and then on the next syllable it gets loud. It would be better to start with that full volume right from the first syllable and retain it. You may have to practice those first syllables "don't" and "ev" in isolation in order to get it. I hope that makes sense and helps a bit.

@ronws but i want to make everyone that listen to my singing think that english is my native language lol.

@anim i think you mean wonderwall by oasis right? :P i can't find any song by oasis call waterfall haha. and btw thanks a lot of the encouragement sir :)

@owen thanks sir for the advices. lol and yeah i do noticed that, i put more volume when singing that 'dont' and 'ev'. so its better to sing all the chorus part with more volume? but what is syllable? :P

@ronws but i want to make everyone that listen to my singing think that english is my native language lol.

@anim i think you mean wonderwall by oasis right? :P i can't find any song by oasis call waterfall haha. and btw thanks a lot of the encouragement sir :)

@owen thanks sir for the advices. lol and yeah i do noticed that, i put more volume when singing that 'dont' and 'ev'. so its better to sing all the chorus part with more volume? but what is syllable? :P

A syllable is like each part of the word. Not each letter but each combination of letters that makes one rhythmic pulse. I can't think of a better way to describe it but I will explain it in the context of the song:

"and I don't want the world to see me" - okay on this one each word is one syllable. simple.

"when everything's made to be broken"

"everything" is three syllables. technically four actually but it's sung as three in this song. like ev-ry-thing.

"broken" is two syllables. bro-ken.

The rest of the words in that phrase are one syllable. You can't split them up into smaller parts.

Does that make sense?

So what you were doing on the high note was like "don't WANT THE WORLD" or "ev-RY-THING'S MADE" (the all caps meaning louder). I can tell you already know that. You are getting loud after the first syllable instead of starting loud and staying loud. You could also start at a medium volume like the first syllable and keep that for all of them. As long as you don't change the volume in the middle like you were doing, it will sound better.

I hope that helps.

Thank you sir! That's a very clear explanation you give. I'll keep in mind about that if im going to sing next time. :)

RHan, you mentioned in onother post that a few months ago you could not sing this chorus. May I ask how you trained for this? You made it sound so easy.

i found this video

and then i start to sing higher note easier and without much strain after using her technique on mix voice and belting :D

*you can see me in the top comment haha, its like 6 months ago i found that video

:) Thanks.

I have seen Dileesas' videos before. She has a great way of explaining things.

Sometimes it is the way someone explains things that make a difference in our understanding.

Yes thats right, i always know that i understand correctly what she taught compared to other videos on youtube that sometime i dont know if i get the wrong technique by misunderstanding what they taught. :lol:

I listened to some of the other songs that you posted. I just want you to know that you have made much progress in the last few months. In your singing and your English.

Keep up the good work.