What is his vocal technique?! He does 5 Octaves so nicely!

Rate this topic

gilad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's the weight most good singers carry some weight pavarotti etc

No but really we get so lost in technique here sometimes, let us not forget about the quality of singing, even if it isn't super advanced always! It's so easy to get lost in trying to achieve something that you forget why you even did it to begin with, technique is a sub-goal :)

Felipe introduced this video before in another thread. He said this guy actually can sing and made this video as a joke to poke fun at all the guys who claim they can do this, or that, or the other thing.

However, what I find amazing is not the comedic effect but the fact that he was not on pitch for any note that he did.

Not once. Now, that is supreme control.

Felipe introduced this video before in another thread. He said this guy actually can sing and made this video as a joke to poke fun at all the guys who claim they can do this, or that, or the other thing.

However, what I find amazing is not the comedic effect but the fact that he was not on pitch for any note that he did.

Not once. Now, that is supreme control.

definitely agree with you there Ron. Unless it's a very demanding passage (quickly shifting runs, or singing high up in chest voice or in the passagio) I never have problems staying on pitch.

Now my dad is a bad singer, probably most likely that he really isn't even into listening to music, so he's probably just lazy with his singing. But when I used to go to church with the family, he always sung the hymns, and he was constantly off key. (A shame too, as he has a high voice, like Steve Perry high. For all we know he could have been the next Steve Perry haha). Occasionally, my brother and I reminisce and try to do our best impressions, and I found it almost impossible to consciously sing off key.

Oh well that changes everything.

Now, the other video I mentioned...that didn't look like a joke though...

This classic? :D

Honestly, I feel bad for him if he honestly has that bad of an ear though...almost want to send him a free copy of Perfect Pitch or something.

Yep that one.

Perfect pitch would do nothing for this guy, probably not even relative pitch...the guy needs to learn basic pitch matching first. To play a note on the piano and sing it back correctly, in a comfortable range...

In the first video in the first post, his jaw movement on the higher notes is a form of laryngeal dampening I was not aware of. I must learn this to become as accomplished as he is. I am always learning something and thankful to be doing so.

This classic? :D

Honestly, I feel bad for him if he honestly has that bad of an ear though...almost want to send him a free copy of Perfect Pitch or something.

This is what happens when I sing F#4 G4 G#4 in full voice ......... Is there any hope? :P

This is what happens when I sing F#4 G4 G#4 in full voice ......... Is there any hope? :P

You know it's funny, you forget that he is actually singing pretty high throughout the whole video, and not with terrible technique.

The awful pitch makes you forget the few things he is doing okay.

Owen, One of the things I was refering to was the fact that he sang the SAME pitch three or more times when the Pitch he was trying to match changed. Although I was joking this DOES happen sometimes when I am trying to work out passaggio in Full modal voice. My F# G and G# stay the same pitch F#. But at least I know I am screwing up when this happens. :D

:) I can make gradual changes there. The problem is keeping tonal consistancy. I may need to rethink my lower tone to match the higher tone. Matching high to low just is not working for me.

:) I can make gradual changes there. The problem is keeping tonal consistancy. I may need to rethink my lower tone to match the higher tone. Matching high to low just is not working for me.

I'd say match to the one that sounds better. Even if it's the more difficult way. Typically you want to match head to chest

That's because one's voice is not the same size at the top as it is at the bottom.

And yes, jco, you understood my point, about the first video. Even when I have pitchy moments, and we all do, it is not every single pitch. Even a newbie in the forum with absolutely no experience or training, will normally get a few good pitches. Quite rare is the person that manages to be off pitch on every single note, leading to the summation that the person really does have a hearing problem, or, has such control of their vocal mechanism, they can be off-pitch on purpose. In the same vein as that of an actor playing a drunk, can usually only do so when completely sober and able to counteract the body's natural tendency to maintain balance.

Owen, One of the things I was refering to was the fact that he sang the SAME pitch three or more times when the Pitch he was trying to match changed. Although I was joking this DOES happen sometimes when I am trying to work out passaggio in Full modal voice. My F# G and G# stay the same pitch F#. But at least I know I am screwing up when this happens. :D

You probably sing the wrong vowel if you can only do F# G G#. Listen closely to the vowel the guy uses in this video. It is exactly that vowel that makes you able to sing your whole range on the same pitch!

Vowel, intensity, Breath control. Your right! I can now sing my whole range on the same pitch. With the same quality. Thanks! :|

Disclaimer: This comment is merely satirical no offence intended or implied. No ears where harmed by the use of this statement. Brought to you by the firm of : MDEW,MDEW and MDEW.