dry mouth sensation?

Rate this topic

rurokenji

Hi guys,

Recently, for the past two weeks, i have noticed that whenever i try and perform my daily singing exercises (i do them everyday), i seem to have this really bad dry mouth sensation going on. It's weird as i have never experienced anything of the sort. For the first week, it only was in effect even when i was talking normally however, it's not as bad as then. Now, it's just really getting in the way when i am performing the singing exercises. And it can't possibly got to do with lack of water as water is all i drink and i drink water after every 2 mins of practicing. I have even began to think that it could be due to my recent brushing of the teeth for at least 30 mins (haha, i am weird like that). Anyone got any tips as to how i can remove this sensation? Is this something i will have to experience regularly in my singing career? Or maybe am i performing the singing exercises wrong?

I have performing the Lip roll warm up/Gee gee scale exercises everyday for 2 months, now.

The atmosphere where you are singing is way too dry.

I often sing in the car as I have a long commute. I have learned the hard way to not sing so much when it is below 0 Celsius because I have the heater on and it is really good at drying out the air.

The atmosphere where you are singing is way too dry.

I often sing in the car as I have a long commute. I have learned the hard way to not sing so much when it is below 0 Celsius because I have the heater on and it is really good at drying out the air.

I don't think it's due to the atmosphere. It recently has been a bit sunny/hot (UK) but i wouldn't say, it's been that hot that the atmosphere has become dry.

Cloud, I would have to agree with Ron. It may be drier than you think.

Haha, wow! I never thought the UK's half summer would ever be that hot haha. Hmm, so what measures can i use to counter this effect? Place a fan in the room?

NO!!!! Hahaha. That will make it drier if anything. A humidifier is what you would need.

Btw does this dry mouth feeling go away if you are singing in the shower? If not then its not a humidity issue but if that steam helps it then the solution is quite simply more steam, throughout the whole day. You get that from a humidifier.

If you don't have one I believe you can also leave out a large pot of water and as it evaporates the humidity will increase. Not sure if that will work well enough though.

I will say, it doesn't make sense that a UK summer would be dry...I live at a similar latitude and our summers are humid.

But I can't think of any other cause besides dehydration or what Ron mentioned.

Actually, just thought of one. Maybe you are singing in a way that is choking off your salivary glands. That can really dry your mouth out big time. Try singing in a comfortable range with less tension and see if your mouth doesn't get dry.

Now that I think about it that is a more likely cause. I recently saw a video about that effect - when people sing with too much tension it can cutting off saliva production, leading to dry mouth.

The solution to that would be, learn to sing with less tension through good vocal training.

I should have said, "It could be drier than you are used to experiencing." My bad.

Then, again, I am not a resident of the UK, so, I don't know what is normal and what is drier than normal.

I am powerless to stop myself from noticing it is summer time, where people often experience hotter, drier climate, at least where I live, which may be very different from where you live, Cloud.

Humidifiers.

Also, hydration for singing happens before the singing. Drinking water while you are singing does nothing for the body's current state of hydration. Drinking water in the morning helps singing in the evening, as it were.

Also, I believe, the british drink tea. Tea has always given me cotton mouth, even though I like to drink it. Here in Texas, we drink tea year-round, ice cold. This was odd for a friend of mine from New York City who only drank it hot and during the winter time.

Hmm, humidifiers are quite expensive around here (kinda a broke student lol). I think i will take up the pot of water idea. So basically, i leave the pot of water in the room and i just practise my singing exercises? Do i leave the lid on? Should the water be boiled/hot? Should i stand as close as possible to the pot whilst it's in the room? Sorry for the 21 questions lol.

I haven't really sang in the shower but i should think, that i probably won't have a problem when singing in the shower. When i am singing along to songs on the radio/youtube, i do usually try and sing in the similar style/range like the artist (unconsciously) but however, when i am not playing any song in the background, i usually just sing within my own style/range.

I currently take singing lessons like every 1 in 3 weeks or so

I should have said, "It could be drier than you are used to experiencing." My bad.

Then, again, I am not a resident of the UK, so, I don't know what is normal and what is drier than normal.

I am powerless to stop myself from noticing it is summer time, where people often experience hotter, drier climate, at least where I live, which may be very different from where you live, Cloud.

Humidifiers.

Also, hydration for singing happens before the singing. Drinking water while you are singing does nothing for the body's current state of hydration. Drinking water in the morning helps singing in the evening, as it were.

Drinking water before every exercise is good, right?

Also, I believe, the british drink tea. Tea has always given me cotton mouth, even though I like to drink it. Here in Texas, we drink tea year-round, ice cold. This was odd for a friend of mine from New York City who only drank it hot and during the winter time.

Yeah, i very rarely drink tea ever. It usually makes me pretty thristy lol! Ice cold lemon tea is the best! haha, we like to drink our tea's usually hot, over here

Aye, mate, I can tell yer a singer 'cause yer urine's clear. Good on ya!

Man, there's got to be a song in there, along the lines of the cheekiness of David Lee Roth's "One-Piece Thermo-molded Country Plastic Chair."