Screaming Questions/Concerns

Rate this topic

MartyBaughman

Just started, and I need advice on my screaming...whether i'm using harmful or dangerous technique or there is anything i should be worried about because of my overtones. Sometimes I get an overtone that sounds like a split phonation, but the bottom tone is distorted. What is the safest way to go about screaming in this manner? clips below. Mind my pitchy set up.

thanks for checking it out and i would appreciate feedback.

You might look up Melissa Cross and her series on screaming.

I'm not much into screaming and I came close to what you are doing when I had a self-inflicted injury.

A few others here are more adept at rasp. But screamo? I don't know. Does it hurt when you do this? Usually, that is first indicator of what is right or wrong, at least in my book.

I have the Zen of Screaming, and it doesn't say much about this sort of thing. It focuses on tonal qualities and stamina rather than giving any insight on harmful tendencies. I don't feel like the sound is stuck in the throat, and it doesn't hurt, although i do get vocal fatigue from doing this.

I don't think the Zen of screaming is the best resource for screaming. I'd rather recommend Raise your voice, The 4 pillars of singing, CVT or Mark Baxter's The 5 secrets of screaming. Or just this forum and lots of time on the road :)