Mix voice or Belting?

Rate this topic

babystar

Hi. I really wonder if somebody here could tell me if they either sing in mix voice or belting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkw0YaS8Gk

According to Complete Vocal Technique, they sing Curbing, and curbing is kinda like Mix Voice.

I want a chesty R&B-kind of voice. I always wanted that. I know how to sing Belting, but I think it's a bit too powerful to me, and I think I know how to sing Mix Voice, but I wanna know what these girls use, 'cause I want a similar voice like their! Especially Mariah's Voice!

I hope you can help me out there, I would be so thankful!

/Claudia

Hi. I really wonder if somebody here could tell me if they either sing in mix voice or belting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkw0YaS8Gk

According to Complete Vocal Technique, they sing Curbing, and curbing is kinda like Mix Voice.

I want a chesty R&B-kind of voice. I always wanted that. I know how to sing Belting, but I think it's a bit too powerful to me, and I think I know how to sing Mix Voice, but I wanna know what these girls use, 'cause I want a similar voice like their! Especially Mariah's Voice!

I hope you can help me out there, I would be so thankful!

/Claudia

claudia,

i personally love belters, and i thiink belting gets a bad rap....

it can be done safely, but it requires an effort, balance, and a relaxed, open throat.

also, your breath support muscles have to really be in top shape because when your breath compression is really strong, you can sustain better at those top notes.

it not volume, it's resonance that makes it happen.

both vocalists are skilled at both and are using both.

at this approx. time mariah is belting here and there

2:40

and christina is belting at 2:44

this will help you too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyLLMgjpwPk

here's one my favorite all-time belters!!! she can give me goosebumps!!!

hope i've helped. bob

Thank you so much Bob.

I know how to belt, I'm more curious what they use the most in the entire song. If they use belting voice or the mix voice through the songs more than the other? :)

I'll check out the links you sent me here too :)

Thank you so much Bob.

I know how to belt, I'm more curious what they use the most in the entire song. If they use belting voice or the mix voice through the songs more than the other? :)

you're welcome.

Thank you so much Bob.

i'm not sure i follow, but wouldn't they have to pass through their mix as they ascend and descend head to chest and visa versa? wouldn't imix be mandatory just to sing those songs?

just trying to help.

I thought I could sing mix through the enitre range, maybe except in the low part of the voice(chest voice). If I wanna sing R&B/Soul-music, should I sing more in my mix voice rather than in my belting voice? I wanna use belting more as an effect maybe.

Btw, VIDEOHERE, are you an SLS person? :) I'm a CVT-person, but I know SLS and Estill!

I thought I could sing mix through the enitre range, maybe except in the low part of the voice(chest voice). If I wanna sing R&B/Soul-music, should I sing more in my mix voice rather than in my belting voice? I wanna use belting more as an effect maybe.

Btw, VIDEOHERE, are you an SLS person? :) I'm a CVT-person, but I know SLS and Estill!

no real predominate method...a little of everything, jaime vendera, rob lunte, thomas appell, roger kain and others...i try to emulate a lot of different singers too

i'm going to buy cvt next though. bob

Claudia, it depends on what you mean by belting. If you mean what most people mean, i.e. simply a loud, high pitched note, kind of shouty-sounding and non-classical, at least to the "untrained ear", then yes, she's probably "belting" in the choruses. But if you're referring to what CVT calls belting (actually, they replaced belting with "edge"), then she is NEVER belting, because then she would sound kind of like a witch. In CVT, belting (edge) has that extreme twang. Anastacia is someone who uses that sound, if I remember correctly.

Mariah Carey's CVT modes are mostly neutral and curbing. Typically, neutral (singing softly) in the verses and curbing (fairly loud but not as loud as you can) in the choruses. From what I've heard of you sing, you can already do both like a pro.

Since you have the CVT book and you want that type of sound, I suggest you re-read the chapters on neutral and curbing, several times and experiment with those sounds. You already know how to do it. And by the way, that chesty R&B sound you so desire is 100% curbing, IMO. Curbing is just singing with that "hold" or "cry" or "restrained" sound, which is found in all styles of music - it just tends to be a bit hard for people to hear that character in voices if they're not used to listen for it. It also has some rules for which vowels you should use in the high part of the voice. And curbing around the passagio is equal to what SLS/SS call "The mix", the way I understand it.

But I really suggest you read the book again. I did, not too long ago, and it helped. That applies to all vocal instructional books, btw. I re-read Jamie Vendera's book and that's when a few things "clicked" for me. Also, perhaps your biggest problem is that you don't have a band at the moment and you're getting crazy because of it, am I right? lol. You have such a beautiful voice - you can get far if you really want to. Cheers!

Word Jonpall, babystar I see you alot around all the similar forums asking mostly terminology questions. Remember that terminology is just to try to explain sounds with words not the other way around...

And as jonpall said you can already sing in the styles of your favourite singers (aguilera ect) :P sometimes im actualy wondering what you are searching for in your quest for vocalglory...

Youve got a great voice!

Hahha Omg you're so sweet that you help me. Thank you for all the answers and compliments I get!

I'm gonna reread it. I realized I'm just veeeeeery insecure, but I think I get it! :)

I'm such a perfecionista. Maybe that's a problem :( sometimes... :P

Right now I'm hoarse but in a few days I'm gonna go to my CVT teacher again and talk about everything.. or do what we get time for!:)

Thank you so much for helping me guys!!!!!!!!:)