Is there any hope for me?

• TMV World Legacy Member

I've been lurking around here for a while and just decided to make an account and upload. I have zero singing experience, no coaching or lessons. I'm on the fence about my voice, sometimes I think I sound alright and other times I think I sound terrible, so I thought I'd ask for your opinions. When I'm singing I tend to mess around with the song a lot - alter the rhythm, draw out words, add in my own parts, and I don't know if that's a positive or negative, so I might sound strange but I can't help it most of the time. Anyway here I am:

Its hard to say anything from this example. It doesn't use much of your range, and its almost a whisper. I'd say record something that has more range use and more powerful vocals. It sounds OK for what it is.

www.drop-head.com

Change your attitude, man. Questioning if there is any hope for you is so negative. Of course there is hope for you. You’re just starting.

What’s your age? You’ve got a nice tone, and you have sense of both pitch and rhythm. Both need work, but you’re just starting, so it’s only natural that you’re far from where you want to be as a singer.

I just listened to the original. Okay so there the singer raises his pitch an octave. And then back even lower than before (not really singing, more a sort of rap).

Try to sing the high parts like you do now, but try to raise the whole line higher, gradually. If possible you could go as high as the original. Just experiment.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

@Keith I kinda agree with you tbh, I'll try something a bit more "out there", next time.

@Manolito Mystiq Thanks for the encouragement! I'm 17 at the moment, and appreciate that I'll obviously need lots of work and practice if I'm to get anywhere near my potential.

Thanks guys!

Seventeen is a great age to start.

I suggest to get lessons or develop a very sensitive ear for sounds, singing sounds, vowel sounds, etc. Experiment with your voice. It can take some. If it hurts, yes surely, you must stop.

I meant that younger could be a bit frustrating because of the voice cracking for men. At least I had a lot of trouble when I was 13-14.