Notes sometimes fine, sometimes bad.

Rate this topic

Hanalei

I play a lot of songs that have D3 or E3 notes in them, and most of the time, they sound fine (to others listening). Then sometimes I do a song that others tell me is too low and my voice sounded kind of gravelly, even though when I go on the piano, they're the exact same notes - sometimes even a note or 2 higher. THe same with high notes. In some songs, I can hit them, and others I can't. Is there a reason for this? Is it just the key of the overall song is too low/high/not good for my voice?

I play a lot of songs that have D3 or E3 notes in them, and most of the time, they sound fine (to others listening). Then sometimes I do a song that others tell me is too low and my voice sounded kind of gravelly, even though when I go on the piano, they're the exact same notes - sometimes even a note or 2 higher. THe same with high notes. In some songs, I can hit them, and others I can't. Is there a reason for this? Is it just the key of the overall song is too low/high/not good for my voice?

Yes, watch the key of the song.

Yes, some songs in the original key, will be too low for you.

Yes, others listen from their own mental perspective.

You should worry primarily about pitch control. And for that, vowels shape what your throat is going to do. But even within a formant, you can still articulate words.

The shape of the entire vocal tract has an effect on sound. Also the volume, breath pressure and emotion(for lack of a better word). Even though both songs may have the same notes, even the same melody phrase, one song may have an oo instead of an ih. and one may be an intense anger song and the other a soft love song.

All of these make a difference. Even if both have an Ah sound on the same note the consonant may change the shape of the Ah. In certain areas of the voice range even this can make a difference.