Heavy Metal cover "Unchain Your Brain" (Gillan)

Rate this topic

This is "Unchain Your Brain" is from Gillan's "Glory Road" album (1980). It was the first rock album I ever bought, at the tender age of 15.

This cover was created from the ground up. I did the singing, guitar playing, and bass, mix. I was helped by my friends Ian Burrage (Drums), Jay Schankman (KeyBoards).

Excellent work.

I had only one style pointer, which can totally be ignored. On words like can't, hands, and one use of the word plan, your 'a' is starting back, like how an american pronounces cat. And, to me, it sounded like it wobbled, based on the onset of the word. Another time, you said plan and you said it more british, which made it fine, to me. That is, I would keep the 'a' british. You were on pitch but it sounded different, to me.

And I could be totally wrong. I prefer true vowels and so I know that my own listening preferences affect what I hear. That's why I don't think it's a technical fault, just the filter in my own head. So, please, take my idea with a grain of salt, if that. If my sense of hearing was better, my recordings would be better, n'est pas?

:)

I listened 3 times. Twice in a row. Left and read other things. Came back and listened, again.

Awesome production, I would give it a "A" grading.

Thanks Ron.

I think you put a finger on a pronunciation problem I have that was a troubling me, which I hadn't quite put a name to. I'll have a think and let you know where I got to with it. I suspect the american sound to some vowels maybe to do with how much I open my mouth.

Thanks Ron.

I think you put a finger on a pronunciation problem I have that was a troubling me, which I hadn't quite put a name to. I'll have a think and let you know where I got to with it. I suspect the american sound to some vowels maybe to do with how much I open my mouth.

I just tried "cat" and I think we americans widen the mouth to do that sound. Which may be changing the formant, creating that different sound. It's not necessarily affecting pitch but maybe the timbre.