Why are Tenors so lucky ?

Rate this topic

ferg12

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize all humans have the same vocal apparatus? There might be a genetic range difference but it's going to be at the extreme ends of the ranges, meaning perhaps someone has 2-3 semitones more than you at the top, and I'm talking way higher than what you actually need for singing.

You come across almost like an internet troll, you obviously have beliefs that are wrong. Two vocal teachers have chimed in, along with tons of members who know what they're talking about.

I thought I was a Bass too when I started because I sucked and didn't know anything, now I figure I'm somewhere high baritone or low tenor, yes you can be that mistaken.

Of course John Mayer and many others have failed to extend their ranges; they don't know what they are doing. Something like 95% of diets are unsuccessful because people don't have a clue what they're doing then they blame it on genetics, like you are now.

Weight loss is possible just like learning how to sing

So you're telling me that a millionaire who's been in the music business for a decade couldn't find the right coach?

I Don't think I am Bass I know beyond doubt that I am a Bass/low baritone when I order at a fast food restaurant everyone turns around.

Of course everyone can learn how to sing, but with in their own limits.

So did you tell him or was he smart enough to know you want to sing pop not classical or choral?

No, I came to him to so that I could learn proper breathing technique and so I could thicken the sound of my lows. We never discussed what type of music I wanted to sing.

So you're telling me that a millionaire who's been in the music business for a decade couldn't find the right coach?

I Don't think I am Bass I know beyond doubt that I am a Bass/low baritone when I order at a fast food restaurant everyone turns around.

Of course everyone can learn how to sing, but with in their own limits.

Of course he can find a good coach, but he has to actually apply what the coach tells him and do it correctly.

If you truly are a low baritone then your comfort range will be a few semitones lower than a tenor, but this doesn't change the fact that your voice box is capable of the same thing, with everything moved down a few steps. A4s still no problem

No, I came to him to so that I could learn proper breathing technique and so I could thicken the sound of my lows. We never discussed what type of music I wanted to sing.

Why would a low baritone need to thicken the sound of his lows? No wonder you are having a higher range problem. Easy fix.

I just told you my whole highschool story about the classical teacher with the head up her ass. Teachers always think you are this or that in the beginning cause your not skilled that's all it is.

I'm still on the fence cause he's being teaching for a long time, but you say guys everyone can extend their range. He also said the only way you can extend your vocal range is by making head voice sound like chest voice, but any good teacher can spot when someone's doing this.

I'm still on the fence cause he's being teaching for a long time, but you say guys everyone can extend their range. He also said the only way you can extend your vocal range is by making head voice sound like chest voice, but any good teacher can spot when someone's doing this.

Mate all singers who sing high notes are making head sound like chest. Chest this head that it's just meant as a learning tool.

Fach matters in classical, in pop music everyone is "making head sound like chest" which is why fach doesn't matter for us. We don't need to project our voices over an orchestra

Why would a low baritone need to thicken the sound of his lows? No wonder you are having a higher range problem. Easy fix.

He said my lows were light. I want to be able to sing Bruno mars songs in it's original key in chest voice. like he does is this possible?

Look ferg, technique is technique and it's a lifetime pursuit, there is no limit to how much you can improve. Even though you may not have the physiology of a tenor, you have the same potential for vocal development. And if you have not yet had years of excellent training it's highly likely you've unlocked the full potential of your voice yet. I know I haven't. Do you really think we can't extend their range at all outside of what we can do naturally without training? That's totally 100 percent false. There are millions of singers all over the world who have proved you wrong by successfully doing so. So all you are doing with a thread like this is purposely deciding to limit your own development by creating a false and cynical psychological limit on yourself to stall your progress. Are you okay with that? Are you okay with getting nowhere in your development as a singer because you simply think you can't and refuse to try? I know I wouldn't be okay with that.

That's the physically easiest way, not the only way.

ferg12 wrote:

He said my lows were light. I want to be able to sing Bruno mars songs in it's original key in chest voice. like he does is this possible?

Just my theory, I haven't got to this level yet so I don't know for sure but based on the development I've seen other singers make:

If you invest in good vocal training, while it will most likely take years of training to get to this level, if you believe in yourself and practice the right techniques consistently and efficiently, you will definitely eventually be able to sing, at the very least, some Bruno songs in the original key in mostly chest voice with the help of a bit of strong head voice on the very highest notes. That's pretty much a guarantee. More likely, after a few years of training you will be able to sing most of them in all chest voice, the remaining few with the help of a strong head voice, in a way that your typical audience would not be able to tell.

i hope you folks don't take this the wrong way, but if you think (just think) you can't sing a certain way, a certain note....i guarantee you your mind will see that you get your wish.......

the mind drives the voice if you can visualize a note, a sound, a texture, whatever, if you can visualize it, you can sing it...

you may bust a gut doing it, but you can sing it...

i keep saying that singing chesty high notes, or making your voice sound a certain way are very physically challenging...

certain sounds need more, if not everything you've got in you in some situations....

you have to reach, you have to strain, (correctly) you have to really put out at times.

and you have to it over and over again till it gets easier (somewhat) than the last time. if you think you're going to achieve these super strong ringing, thick, (classical sounding notes) in demanding rock tunes, effortlessly without some solid support and physical involvement, you are kidding yourselves.

straining and reaching grows the voice just as much as going light and right then adding power afterwards. but it's tiring and very physically demanding....

you cannot sing in the beginning or even later (at times) without some real effort and strain....no how, no way.

you've got to do exercises and sing to accustom the voice with what you want to do. you want o bust a gut (and you will bust a gut) singing hard core thick rock, you'd better bring the voice to that "spot" each and every day so it knows what you are asking of it.

you want to sing "light and right" fine, but you'd better be willing to also sing balls and a half to the walls too.....for me balls to the walls is my way to sing...

only thing is everybody has their concept of "balls to the walls."........lol!!!!

don't think in terms of limitations "fach thinking" limits.....

i'll say it again.....if you can visualize it, you can sing it....all depends on how hard you want to apply yourself.

There is always a choice, either you listen to the one's that know how to do it or you listen to the people that dont know how to do it.

People that cannot teach you always claim something is " impossible" because if there was a way there is no way they wouldnt now.

Ive been classified a baritone, by 5-6 coaches one of then was very famous and had a huge reputation... All said i never be able to sing tenor..

Now i can belt a D5 and singheadvoice alot higher, none of the tenors from my old school can keep up.

So i would listen to formica and all the people here that actualy have expanded range

Cheers bro :)

This is my theory from reading all of these threads and I have not been able to put it to practice.

Most of us who are trying to sing those notes in full voice E4-B4 like our "IDOLS" are mistakenly thinking that "FULL voice" means Thick and beefy. NO..... At a certain point no matter what we MUST THIN OUT. The full sound is coming from "CORD CLOSURE" and "RESONANCE" plus a little special effects like reverb,delay,EQ AND distortion of some type by the singer.

We keep thinking that we sound TOO LIGHT AND THIN..... Add a little reverb to that thin sound and see what happens.

THE FULL THICK SOUND IS AN ILLUSION........You want a thicker sounding HEAD voice... Thin out Chest first.

And yes I can be talking out my "Lower posterior central region". But it makes as much sense as any thing else I have heard so far.

Forgive my Rant :P I'm hot and uncomfortable....

Jens, Video We all posted at the same time. I did not see your post untill mine was finished...

I'm supposed to be working..

You have to let the vibrating mass(vocal folds) thin and resonating mass(space)get larger. Case closed. There is no debate classical, pop, broadway or whatever this has to happen or you force/ squeeze etc.

Actually, the vocal tract will get smaller (resonance space) the higher you sing. :)

This is my theory from reading all of these threads and I have not been able to put it to practice.

Most of us who are trying to sing those notes in full voice E4-B4 like our "IDOLS" are mistakenly thinking that "FULL voice" means Thick and beefy. NO..... At a certain point no matter what we MUST THIN OUT. The full sound is coming from "CORD CLOSURE" and "RESONANCE" plus a little special effects like reverb,delay,EQ AND distortion of some type by the singer.

We keep thinking that we sound TOO LIGHT AND THIN..... Add a little reverb to that thin sound and see what happens.

THE FULL THICK SOUND IS AN ILLUSION........You want a thicker sounding HEAD voice... Thin out Chest first.

And yes I can be talking out my "Lower posterior central region". But it makes as much sense as any thing else I have heard so far.

Forgive my Rant :P I'm hot and uncomfortable....

Jens, Video We all posted at the same time. I did not see your post untill mine was finished...

I'm supposed to be working..

md....it's that phrase "thin out" that can mean so many things to so many people.

i don't personally feel like i thin out anything when i sing....i narrow without letting up....but narrowing to me is not thinning....it's a throat shaping maneuver for me....

if i want a powerful sound high up (g4 plus), the air pressure and support has to me maintained or the note falls apart on me. .

all of this......thinning out, going into, crossing over, transitioning to, switching to, lightening up, ....none of this works for me ...all it did was stress me..

now i just sing at the ng spot and support....

One more thing bob go watch any video on the vocal cords rising in pitch you will see them thin out. I'm not trying to make you believe me I'm just going by a fact that you can see in plain sight that's all.

So, you, sun, and owen were right I found a baritone named Ken Tamplin singing Bruno Mars, but it sounds like he's struggling. I want to know if a baritone can do that without the struggling ?

It won't be "chest voice" in the sense of your chest resonating because that doesn't happen on high notes. But it will basically sound like chest voice. Whether it feels like it to the singer is subjective, for me it does feel like chest voice.