Rainy days and Mondays if you feel like having a listen!

• TMV World Legacy Member

That sounded pretty good. There is not too many people who can match the low smokey feel of Karens vocals.

A side note: They almost gave up on Karen in the studio because she was trying to sing evrything high like everyone else at the time. Her voice just didn't have a great sound on the high notes.

They decided to give her one more shot by trying in a lower key......Magic.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Hi. I don't want to sound too critical as the melody was largely right in terms of pitch. There are people on here who will be able to put into technical terms what is open for improvement but two things that stand out for me:

1. Parts of the verse are too low for your voice. You can work on your low end but for now I'd recommend trying this in a different key.

2. There is a lack of resonance. The resonance is possibly partly attributable to the recording space and recording device - the sound just seems a bit dead. You would normally have a bit of reverb from the environment. What was it recorded on and where?

On the technical side I think I can hear other issues but I don't want to give you unhelpful advice. Obviously some absolute basics to work on are breathing from the diaphragm to control the projection and power of notes, avoid any tension in the upper body, relax the throat and jaw, maintain a good posture and practice, practice, practice.

All that said I think you have a ready made voice for a less classic pop delivery. A few parts reminded me of Kirsty McColl although I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Hi Elwin

Yes the recording set up is extremely basic, just from my computer which is in a room the size of a shoe box, just enough room for the computer and me! Probably need a laptop or something else so I can take it into a different room. Something for the Christmas list maybe!

I agree with Liam. Pitch was mostly good. Parts of this song are too low for you. And if you are straining to get volume in the low area, you will go off pitch. Better to move closer to the mic for the low parts that are low volume. That's what I do for really low notes. My moustache will brush the mic.

I think the mic was probably low quality, whatever comes with your computer and that is why it is cutting out and creating that odd effect that Liam was talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

So I re-did this a tiny bit higher and dragged the computer into the kitchen, although I think it now sounds like I'm singing in a cave!

https://soundcloud.com/orchid13/rainy-days-and-mondays

Well, I don't hear any "cave" effect but I think this was better. Pitch was better. If could suggest, keep the vowel more pure. "Hangin around" will be easier for you if it is "H-eh-ng-en uh-rahnd." The dipthongs create a tonal shift that was a little distracting to me. That is, your pitch was good, simplify the vowels. Something I work on constantly, and by that, I mean, all the time. So, I am advising myself as much as I might advise you.

I liked it a lot. I remember when the song first came out and you do it quite well. I think you should keep this in your list of songs you can do.