First Post - This is Where I'm Starting

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey Guys

This is a link of me singing a bit of Love me 2 Times and The Lemon Song by Doors/Zep with my band.

It was taken from a impromptu rehearsal on my iphone that I then transferred to Youtube, ripped the mp3 and transefered it to Soundcloud.

This is where I am after 2 months of singing. It's alright. I could not hear myself as we had no monitors, so my intonation is funky, especially coming off the C in Lemon Song. I think I managed to capture Plant's intensity on that bit well, and it was interesting that when I sang that, it felt really weak and Mickey Mousey. It was surprising to hear how trusting myself and resonance gave it a lot more power when I listened back later.

Thoughts and room for improvement ideas?

I liked the way you did both. The deep sound on "Love me 2 Times" was perfect for that. And the same deep sound on "The Lemon Song" gave it a dimension that was refreshing because I already know how Plant sounds on it and it's nice to hear it differently. You have such a nice, full sound.

It would be cool to hear either one of these as a full song.

As far as tips on your voice, I am not good enough to judge through a cellphone mic.

Hey Ronws thanks for commenting - I'm glad you liked my first attempt. In the coming weeks I will put a full take up for dissection. As far as my sound goes - I make no attempt to sound like the original singers of songs I cover. This can be frustrating at times, especially when my voice gets a bit caught in my chest, but I trust it will be helpful in the long run. I think the biggest battle is assimilating your influences, but still sounding like YOU. This relates a lot to one of your other threads - besides - Plant's biggest influence was Elvis, F Mercury loved Plant, Dickinson loved Ian Gillan: do any of them sound alike?? HELL NO!!:P :P