"Child in Time" - An Amazing Scream Performance! - Robert Lunte

• Administrator

... Ok, Ill let you guys determine if its amazing or not, but I had to make a good headline... :cool:

This is a tribute performance of one of the most iconic heavy metal songs ever created. "Child in Time" was written by Deep Purple and originally performed by Ian Gillan. This performance features a higher laryngeal position and a subtle amount of vocal fold compression to lighten the harmonic color. The screams feature a partially relaxed vocal folds (Glottis) with increased sub-glottal respiration pressure to engage bernoulli fold closure. In simple terms, the connected sound in the screams is achieved by creating a vaccum between the vocal folds from increased respiratory velocity, which is more efficient and less fatiguing then closing the vocal folds with twang compression.

The more efficient, but more advanced technique of glottal respiratory bleed achieves two advantages not found by twanging;

1). It is less fatiguing, and

2). It removes the "quacky" aesthetic that can happen when singers sing high notes.

Mastering the balance of vocal fold compression with sub-glottal respiratory pressure is also a configuration that enables TVS Overlay Distortion techniques. Learn more about the TVS Method, click the link below:

http://www.thevocaliststudiostore.com/The-Four-Pillars-of-Singing-30_p_27.html

www.TheVocalistStudio.com

www.kiliii.com (Filmography)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMV World Legacy Member

I was going to say it was way cool, the dark ascension into the light. Something of a storytelling sequence.

That top note had almost a whistle quality to it that I thought was neat, even though I don't think it was a whistle note.

Good job. And as inspiring now as it was on your previous cover of this song.

• Administrator

"Amazing" is an understatement....

Absolutely PHENOMENAL , Bro !!! :cool:

Definitely next weeks "Spotlight Video" by our founder, Mr. Robert Lunte !!!

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Sounding pretty good for the most part, Lunte! Some of the melody changes were really interesting. The tonality on the verses is pretty good though could use a bit more of that 'sensual' dynamic Ian uses if you know what I mean.

The tonality on some of the higher notes is a bit unsure sounding though. Ian uses a lot of force for those, and gets pretty piercing live. Also, I noticed you left out the chorus's climax with the high A5. Man, that's the money note! :lol:

• Administrator

Great job. Love the eerieness you captured.

Ya, thanks Keith,... I agree. I think I captured an adequately creepy vibe at the end. You want to know the truth... I imagined I was being burned at the stake. Im not kidding you... that may sound a bit 'sick', but that is the imagery I was using at the end to try to get a creepy, horrifying scream...

Glad you liked it Keith...

• Administrator

Sounding pretty good for the most part, Lunte! Some of the melody changes were really interesting. The tonality on the verses is pretty good though could use a bit more of that 'sensual' dynamic Ian uses if you know what I mean.

The tonality on some of the higher notes is a bit unsure sounding though. Ian uses a lot of force for those, and gets pretty piercing live. Also, I noticed you left out the chorus's climax with the high A5. Man, that's the money note! :lol:

I had a few people comment that the versus are not as whispy and windy as Gillan's. I am aware of that. It never occurred to me to try to do it like Ian Gillan. Not one bit, I always just did it the way I wanted to... so that fact that I didn't do a whispery verses, doesn't bother me. These are light mass phonations.

But next time I produce an interpretation of "Child in Time", and knock it out of the ball park.... Ill be sure to try more harder ... and get it more righter...

:rolleyes:

I had a few people comment that the versus are not as whispy and windy as Gillan's. I am aware of that. It never occurred to me to try to do it like Ian Gillan. Not one bit, I always just did it the way I wanted to... so that fact that I didn't do a whispery verses, doesn't bother me. These are light mass phonations.

But next time I produce an interpretation of "Child in Time", and knock it out of the ball park.... Ill be sure to try more harder ... and get it more righter...

:rolleyes:

Well I think Ian correctly captured the emotion in the original song... Everything from the verses to the screams sounds very dramatic. Few covers, in my opinion, can actually be better than the originals. So I don't think you have to worry about doing that...

But still, there's a lot of room for improvement. Every time I do a cover I try to study the originals, every embellishment of the original singer, as close as my memory will allow... Then re-create as close as possible. That's the only way to really do justice without completely re-working the song.

The screaming performance was amazing. :D The singing preformance,Pitch,control,texture all amazing. You can really deliver what you teach.

The emotion in the verses did not come through quite as good as the emotion in the screaming.

This is something so subtle and subjective that it may just be my own observation.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• Administrator

LOL... What ever.... ? As objective as I can be about myself, I think its good. It was not my intent to try to do a copy of Ian Gillan. How Ian Gillan did it, seriously never crossed my mind, beyond just singing the right notes more or less...

Thanks for your support guys...

Godspeed.

• Administrator

Thanks Brother Adolph... lets catch up...

Your cover was absolutely phenomenal as I mentioned..... REGARDLESS of some of the other comments ---- You made it "your OWN" !!! :cool:

Quote MY Coach >> "Ill be sure to try more harder ... and get it more righter..." ???

And yes, we have to catch up. I'm having more spinal issues that I really don't want to post, but I'll share them with you when we talk :)

And NO, don't even think I'm "going anywhere" :D

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

I could be wrong here, but isn't this a "review and critique" section? I mean people are just offering their thoughts on a cover. Just because you are a vocal coach, and co-founder of this forum, does that leave you immune from criticism? I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls, this is just my observation.

I don't post here much, so no ill intended

Beware of middle age men with Justin Beiber haircuts and lip rings...

Hey Rob!

Loved the vocals, once again, even though not my cup of tea when talking about this genre of music.

Having said that, I can point a pitch issue that really bothered my ears. This is not dissing, just an honest opinion.

At 6:11 point, that note doesn't sound like it fits, but when it comes to art, anything goes. Up until the guitar solo, it was spot on no doubt! (again my honest opinion) All in all very nice production!

My Original songs:
A new day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfozwtLCdY
I can't believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMTnOVwaIY
Thank you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8VVHp535Bw

• Administrator

Your cover was absolutely phenomenal as I mentioned..... REGARDLESS of some of the other comments ---- You made it "your OWN" !!! :cool:

Quote MY Coach >> "Ill be sure to try more harder ... and get it more righter..." ???

And yes, we have to catch up. I'm having more spinal issues that I really don't want to post, but I'll share them with you when we talk :)

And NO, don't even think I'm "going anywhere" :D

Adolph, this is a joke. Im saying, "ok, its still not good enough, I need to try harder to please you... ill go back to the drawing board and "try more harder"? Its a joke, its irony. Not sure I could deliver a better production then that and Im quite sure those that criticized it, could not. Im talking about the entire effort, production... not only the singing.

• Administrator

Hey Rob!

Loved the vocals, once again, even though not my cup of tea when talking about this genre of music.

Having said that, I can point a pitch issue that really bothered my ears. This is not dissing, just an honest opinion.

At 6:11 point, that note doesn't sound like it fits, but when it comes to art, anything goes. Up until the guitar solo, it was spot on no doubt! (again my honest opinion) All in all very nice production!

Hi Gilad... 6:11? that is like a 10th of a second... I don't hear anything... but ok ;) Thanks Gilad...

Well, Robert, for what's worth, when I review a performance, yours or anyone else's, the technical side for me is pitch and volume. You have good pitch and plenty o' volume.

Anything aside from that is interpretation. And so, it is a piece of art. And I always enjoy art. And I would rather hear a spot-on E5 with meaning and intensity than A5 by whatever means possible, any day. It's not about the highest note, it's about the note accuracy and, in this case, it is harmonically aligned with the Am chord, which is the tonic in this song.

And I find it inspiring. Maybe I am just a fan as I examine my own psychology. Yes, you are technically proficient. And I have heard proficient singers who don't inspire me. Or, who are, in fact, so married to the original sound that it is difficult some people to appreciate the artistic license that is taken.

Maybe that's a result of being a Led Zep fan. Jimmy never played a song the same way twice. Every show was a distinct work of art. It was never about becoming their own karaoke or cover band. It was about expressing something when going on stage. I think this has to do with Jimmy's experience as a session player, where he would have to play 40 takes of the same thing, just to please whatever record producer.

Maybe that's what makes me appreciate the art in what you do. Of course it's different. That's probably what I like about it, if I look closely, as now. If you were trying to make an exact copy and I was looking for an exact copy, then I might be disappointed.

And guess what? Even though Ian is back with Deep Purple, "Child in Time" is not in the set list. Ian cannot do it any more. So, you are doing something that the "original" cannot do, nowadays.

We had CIT threads before but I think there were only 3 full covers. I had hoped for me. Even a basso or low baritone version. Because that's art.

Peace, brethren.

The screaming performance was amazing. :D The singing preformance,Pitch,control,texture all amazing. You can really deliver what you teach.

The emotion in the verses did not come through quite as good as the emotion in the screaming.

This is something so subtle and subjective that it may just be my own observation.

I had a feeling that I would be misread. Everything in here is fantastic. Beyond what most post here.

This was no means intended to be taking a shot at you but a suggestion to further advance your skill.

I had the feeling of being taught how to sing instead of the frustration and desperation of a doomed world.

You sound is freakin' awesome. There is no doubt about it. And you have the right to feel that way.

You said that during the screams you were really imagining being burned at the stake.

" Ya, thanks Keith,... I agree. I think I captured an adequately creepy vibe at the end. You want to know the truth... I imagined I was being burned at the stake. Im not kidding you... that may sound a bit 'sick', but that is the imagery I was using at the end to try to get a creepy, horrifying scream... "

All I am saying is if you keep the thought and feeling behind the song throughout all of it Even as awesome as your voice is it will be ten times more so.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

It’s not out of pitch, but out of ‘key’. You have a line that goes: E-D-C#-B-A on A minor.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

• Administrator

I had a feeling that I would be misread. Everything in here is fantastic. Beyond what most post here.

This was no means intended to be taking a shot at you but a suggestion to further advance your skill.

I had the feeling of being taught how to sing instead of the frustration and desperation of a doomed world.

You sound is freakin' awesome. There is no doubt about it. And you have the right to feel that way.

You said that during the screams you were really imagining being burned at the stake.

" Ya, thanks Keith,... I agree. I think I captured an adequately creepy vibe at the end. You want to know the truth... I imagined I was being burned at the stake. Im not kidding you... that may sound a bit 'sick', but that is the imagery I was using at the end to try to get a creepy, horrifying scream... "

All I am saying is if you keep the thought and feeling behind the song throughout all of it Even as awesome as your voice is it will be ten times more so.

Great MDEW, that is fine. I didn't think your post was a 'shot' at all... I better understand your point, thanks...

• Administrator

It’s not out of pitch, but out of ‘key’. You have a line that goes: E-D-C#-B-A on A minor.

Perhaps for a 10th of a second I missed a spot, not sure... I would have to examine that further, but honestly, I don't really care and I don't feel its even worthy of worrying about, but thanks for dissecting this 10th of a second moment in the song. ;):cool:

Thanks Manolito... glad you chimed in buddy... keep calling it like you see it, thats fine.

I like Ron's response above... not because its more complimentary, but he "gets it"... im in synch with his points... this is art, not an attempt to make a "copy cat" performance.

Hey Rob!

I apologize for my post, You are right.

It was a spectacular production, Keep it up!! :)

My Original songs:

• Administrator

Hey Rob!

I apologize for my post, You are right.

It was a spectacular production, Keep it up!! :)

Wait a minute Gilad? I don't want you to apologize for your post!? Please, no... its ok. That spot in the song may in fact be a half step off... I just dont' hear it... It would be to your credit that you do! Thanks for calling me out and your continued support.

BTW, reach out in about a week, I have some Pillars updates for you...

Awesome Rob, thanks. Will do!

My Original songs:

Chris, I can't think of one time you have written something positive, address a singers strengths along with their weakness. You simply either write that you don't like it, or nothing at all. You are not the be all/ end all of singers. Yes, you have exceptional ability, but dude, your're kinda a jerk a lot of the time. Its OK to not like something, but at least give a reason. You never backup you're critique with any reason. Get off the cross man. I think you could be a big asset to this forum if you'd just get over yourself.

www.drop-head.com