“Child in Time� - An Amazing Whistle Performance! - Manolito Mystiq

• TMV World Legacy Member

N.B.: I don’t think anyone knows about the specific performance thread, so that’s why, like Enander did, I post it here, as well.

MANO IN TIME

For the last week, I kept recording myself singing this song and experiment. Today, I felt it’s overall pretty interesting and flowing. I really like my phrasing when the verse repeats. And so here it is.

Click Me!

There is some Thom Yorke going on, too. Didn’t see that coming.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

I liked it. There are some cracks that should be smoothed out though. Also, some pitchy areas in the first "ahhhh ahh ahhh" section - usually on the second note of that part. It almost sounds like a switch between registers, even though I have not noticed you EVER having this issue before lol. I think, like Roberts, this is a very unique performance. Overall it's tremendous. Be proud. I wish I could sing this stuff, but I top out at F5 on a GOOD day.

www.drop-head.com

There is a clear flip to my whistle when I go from G5 to A5. I could definitely try to smooth that out.

But you mean my E5-D5-C5-line, right? I usually don’t falsetto sing like that—probably the reason why you haven’t heard me switching before. When I try to sing it with more mass, like that song Confusion, it’s unbalanced or at least I don’t like it like that.

Besided, I kinda cheat with A5 in whistle.

I felt there was abit to much experimenting in this try. Not that the individual parts sounded bad, but rather that they sounded like bits and pieces from diffrent songs.

Your placement and choice of twang kindo changed to much, at start you where kindo centered than all of a sudden some verybackward sounds and then all of a sudden very very supertwanged sounds for the highnotes.

Then ofcourse this can be an artistic choice wich is fine, but i more got the feeling it was more due to that you hadnt quite made up your mind on what you wanted to do.

edit. not talking about the screams and whistles

cheers

You are talking about the verse, Jens? I’ve heard that before, that I’m mixing way too much. I wasn’t trying to experiment in the verse. Well the second verse was a very personal take, but not thinking: okay, now add twang, okay, now let go off twang.

I did record with my headset on. I seem to have a harder time to have a reference of my sound while singing. Sometimes for the better, because I would probably hold back a bit for the ‘chorus’ bits if I would have heard myself without my headset. And sometimes for the worse, because of what you were saying.

Also, this is like my first week with my condenser mic., the Røde M2. I seem to have heavily compensated my sound while using my Shure SM58.

I probably have to sleep over it and listen tomorrow with fresh ears.

Thanks.

Yes im talking about the verse, basicly to my ears it would sound alot better if you Kept together the soundcolor abit.

Im also guilty about that very thing thats why i hear it.

The area im talking about is for instance " see the blind maaaan(very twanged supernarrow) shoooting(backwards)

More of a mode switch issue, I presume. [æ] and .

But don’t you see, the twang is alerting you of the man, ‘see the blind MAN’, while the backward sound of shooting implies you didn’t see it coming, as if he were shooting from behind, see?

/kidding

I dont see it as an issue of any sort, more like the placements are abit to extreme. Just make it slightly less twanged and slightly less backward Im not talking much, and it will keep it together more.

It will keep the entire performance abit less schizo ;) cause the song itself in it's form presents alot of soundcolors already.

Add to the fact your also adding whistlevoice to this :)

Cheers

Edit: your voice is similar to mine, not in timbre or style but moreso that your voice loves the extremes of the voice.

That means if you or i go for twang for instance we will usually add aaalot or if we go for more of a backwardsplacement it will be very back.

Yes, that’s what I’ve heard, as well. It may be helpful to think in terms of EVT modes. Like, sing everything in BELT, or everything in CRY. Just for practice. I actually tried everything in CRY as a start. But it might work, because then my voice could do anything it can to keep in being extremely CRY, or extremely BELT, etc.

That would still just train the extremes i belive, atleast thats how it is for me. I would experiment with just adding slightly less twang(still keeping the mode) to man and sing shooting just like you did with the start of verse one.

What happens if you do that?

I liked that fact that you sang it your way. The whistle notes take a little getting used to but it is interesting.

People tend to want to get a little artistic and dramatic on the verses, which is cool, but sometimes it is hard to find the balance between those and the story.

I did feel that you presented the story in a fitting manner. Over all it sounded pretty good.

:)

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

That was the main reason why I posted. I told a story. That is something I’m usually lacking.

I thought it was pretty dang cool, Manny. And the whistle for the high notes was neat. Much cleaner than mine, last year, when I did a rattle at the top. Just seeing others try this makes me want to do another cover of it, albeit, with a different mic and recording strategy.

You took some jazzy liberties that I liked.

I also liked how light you sound in the lower part of the verses. I think I had a heavier sound in the lower verses.

Cool beans.

And don't be afraid to put up another version if you come up with another idea. This could be as fun as the Queensryche cover thread, and I would like to see more action in that one, too, sorry to momentarily derail.

The artist in me likes hearing the different styles of art that we come up with.

I know, I am a strange guy. It is what it is, however ...