Back again for more help....please listen and critique....

• Review My Singing Membership

Still working on this singing thing. I think I'm improving somewhat but I really need objective ears. At times I think I sound "ok" and there are other spots that I know are off a little. I listen to a lot of Dylan....probably not the greatest voice but it works for him. With that said, maybe my style should be more of a storyteller and not so much a singer, if that makes any sense. Do you all think that is a style in itself...I mean speaking the words instead of singing....can a person "speak" on key? Please take a listen. Thanks in advance.

• TMV World Legacy Member

What you did with this spoke to me Buddy and at the end of the day thats what this is all about communication.

absolutely, you can speak in a key. You had a connection with the music a for the most part your pitch was on. Just run with it!

Try to lose the cough in the middle of a performance though :P

Jonathan

[url]https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-graham1-0[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/JonathanGrahamTUF[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/theunnamedfaces[/url]
[url]http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/JonathanGraham[/url]

You are making progress Bluesguy.

Bob Dylan, John Prine, Jim croce, James Tayler are all good people to sing along with as you are working things out. They usually do not go above anyones range.

I would pick a song from one of these guys and really listen closely to the melody and sing along with them. Try to pay attention to whether or not you are singing the same melody as they are. If what they are singing sounds different than what you are singing pay special attention to that part. See if the the note is higher or lower than what you are singing. Take one phrase at a time to get the melody ingrained.

You are keeping in pitch with the guitar which is good but there are parts in the melody of the actual song that gives more variance in pitch that what you are doing.

In the beginning of learning to sing it is better to try to match the melody of the song. This will give you practice of moving between pitches and break a person from the habit of using a speaking voice to sing.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

• Review My Singing Membership

Thanks for the comments thus far....anyone else care to chime in? I haven't been doing this very long but it does seem to get somewhat easier and maybe even a little improvement from where I started. Thanks again

Well.. based on my experience, the first step to getting better at singing is... just sing :D! And it seems you're enjoying it :)

In time you will develop a better ear, and more freedom with your muscles, so you will be able to reproduce whatever sound you hear.

I like that "storytelling" style you talk about :) It creates very nice atmospheres and it is, in general, very light music... which you can hear while driving, in the supermarket, whatever.. and it is never unpleasant to hear.

I liked it :P ( Even with the cough, hahah ... Nah, that stuff happens heheh )