The "Child In Time" Challenge by Deep Purple

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMV World Legacy Member

Great Job Rob!

I'm glad you posted a link of you actually singing. This really gives you more credibility with the new members(myself included) and more potential students.

Thanks for the great Cover :cool:

"verum ipsum factum"

Hey Robert great job I never go to the critique session. So that's why I didn't see it. I will take a stab at it if I get some time. I know jens will for sure rock it he's got that thing down. I'm more of a Coverdale type singer when it comes to this type of stuff but I'll try it.

Again great job

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica, https://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

Robert, great singing, there is nothing wrong with it, this is a great performance IMO. IMO it´s ridiculous if anyone compare your voice with Gillan´s and give bad critique if it´s not a carbon copy of Gillan´s timbre. There is only one Gillan and noone will sound exactly like him except for Gillan himself, as Ron says.

Also i liked DJDeth´s performance very much and i really thought for a moment that it actually was Gillan himself i heard and that Dj send the wrong link :) I would love to try this myself one day.

• Administrator

Thanks guys... its at least ok.

Ok, I feel weird about this because I feel like I may be distributing protected content, but I do not know or remember where I got this? I looked at amazon.com and 'Child in Time' is not available there. Frankly, it seems like a very unlikely karaoke bed track for Deep Purple... probably why I ceased on it when I discovered that someone had it.

So in the interest of education, here is the link to the child in time bed track for you to try and post your efforts here. Out of respect to the artist that created this bed track, please, let's just keep the postings and distribution to the TMV World Forum.

If the original artist happens to come along and discover this track, please let me know and we can take it down if you have an issue with this, and let us know where we can all go to purchase it instead.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/c78e657cb45408c11c38

This is actually another version a student just gave me that I think may be more cool, its more bassy and sounds more like a real band.

Have fun...

Great Job Rob!

I'm glad you posted a link of you actually singing. This really gives you more credibility with the new members(myself included) and more potential students.

Thanks for the great Cover :cool:

Iz, you just haven't been here long enough and trying to search all the posts would be daunting. It's easier if you go to Lunte's youtube channel.

He has covered this song, of course. He has covered "Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ, Superstar. That song and "Child in Time" are eerily similar in texture but they are also sung very much the same way by different singers.

He has also covered "Green Menalishi (with the two-prong crown)" - the Judas Priest version, rather than the original Fleetwood Mac version.

Don't make me link in Lunte's "Green Menalishi." I did it so often that even Lunte got tired of it. But I never did tire of it. And never will. Whether I ever agreed with Lunte on anything or nothing, like him, not liked him, he rocked that song.

I have been reading about Karaoke. And in that field, to quite an extent, you are expected to sound like the original. In fact, it is suggested that you not do a song for which your voice or singing style is not suited. And I believe in singing songs that fits one voice, as well. But I break that rule, myself, now and then.

However, for "Child in Time," it is a match for Lunte's voice, and vice versa.

Now, might he sound believable on "Rich Girl" by Hall and Oates? Maybe. Maybe not. And who cares? It would be him singing a song that he cares about and expresses as his voice can express.

• Administrator

Your too kind Ron, really. I need to get a lot more content online. Doing my best, its hard to find the time with TVS and TMVW to tend to. But these quick little live takes like this are fairly easy to do, I'll probably be tossing up some more, at least for the gang at TMV World Forum.

Brilliant! I also accept this challenge. Just need to some time to learn the song! embarrassingly, I haven't listened to it enough to have it ingrained :/

Loved both interpretations. Robert, I really dig the bottom end of your voice on the low notes, and your screams were emotionally charged - like a tortured soul. Beautiful.

DJDeath.... as I expect from hearing other things you have done, you are a monster! pierdolony dobre! (excuse my hopeless Polish)

One thing is for sure, I am a tortured soul...

We all are, as buddists think :lol: , and by the way - beware, i'm already learning the song ;) . Cheer up!

Gonna conquer the world ]:-|

This is a great song and one I only heard for the first time last week. There is a little obscure radio station I tune into mostly because they play blues. But in the times they are not they have other programs and not often heard songs. With the death of Jon Lord they were playing a lot of old Deep Purple and songs I never even knew existed. I'm a Smoke on the water forward only fan. Actually I don't even know many DP songs at all.

But this is good stuff and I also heard a song that I immediately searched for (couldn't find a backing track) "Demons Eye." I don't know if I could sing it or not but I do sing smoke on the water...so you never know :D

Anyway....like I said. Good stuff I never knew existed. Thanks Rob!

Me thinks of the movie, 'Bill & Ted', where they go into the music store, checking out guitars for the band they hope to one day form. They see they sign thats says, "absolutely no playing 'Smoke on the Water' or 'Stairway to Heaven'," or something like that. Funny scene.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

Me thinks of the movie, 'Bill & Ted', where they go into the music store, checking out guitars for the band they hope to one day form. They see they sign thats says, "absolutely no playing 'Smoke on the Water' or 'Stairway to Heaven'," or something like that. Funny scene.

That's true and there are such signs, sometimes they include 'Enter Sandman' and 'Ironman' :lol:

Gonna conquer the world ]:-|

Wasn't that Wayne's World?

• Administrator

This is a great song and one I only heard for the first time last week. There is a little obscure radio station I tune into mostly because they play blues. But in the times they are not they have other programs and not often heard songs. With the death of Jon Lord they were playing a lot of old Deep Purple and songs I never even knew existed. I'm a Smoke on the water forward only fan. Actually I don't even know many DP songs at all.

But this is good stuff and I also heard a song that I immediately searched for (couldn't find a backing track) "Demons Eye." I don't know if I could sing it or not but I do sing smoke on the water...so you never know :D

Anyway....like I said. Good stuff I never knew existed. Thanks Rob!

Ya this is iconic old school stuff... the pups won't get it... but old farts like Bob and me do.

Ya this is iconic old school stuff... the pups won't get it... but old farts like Bob and me do.

That's why I'm surprised I don't know it. I think I may be older than you (I'm 55). But the sound is so familiar to me from that old school style with shades of the psychedelic scene in it.

Oh Yes...I get it :)

Thanks for all the positive responses guys:) I'll record the whole thing as soon as I can.

I just want to mention - the A5's in my clip are the notes I never could hit. I'm only able to do it thanks to Robert's system "4 Pillars", his help via skype and his workouts for 'Extreme Pitch Scream'. That's a pretty cool feeling to finally break the roof that has been limiting the access to your highest heights:)

Cheers!

I also literally remember seeing signs in guitar shops "anyone caught playing "Eruption" (by Eddie Van Halen) will be shot on site. Survivors will be shot, again."

And I'm sure before all that, there were signs forbidding the playing of "Willie and the Po' Boys" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

And piano stores should have a sign saying "Do not play "Beethovens 5th." It is considered gauche and you will do it wrong, anyway."

Well I am failing this challenge without even posting the results. Actually I think I sounded pretty good on some of it, but I just couldn't hit the high screams they were out my range.

I thought for a moment abnout pitch shifting in my audio editor, but (a) that's cheating, and (B) I didnt want to sound like Cher. ;)

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I am definitely doing this, have always loved this song, definitely can't hit the highest parts! Robert, I like your version, it's totally different to Gillain, the ending is cool.

DJDeth, I like your version a lot too, really, really strong on the screams, it's cool hearing different peoples takes on the same song.

• Administrator

Thanks for all the positive responses guys:) I'll record the whole thing as soon as I can.

I just want to mention - the A5's in my clip are the notes I never could hit. I'm only able to do it thanks to Robert's system "4 Pillars", his help via skype and his workouts for 'Extreme Pitch Scream'. That's a pretty cool feeling to finally break the roof that has been limiting the access to your highest heights:)

Cheers!

Oh cool, that is good to know! Thanks for sharing that... Is this Ben? I think this is Ben... hope we can train again soon Ben. BTW, as far as 'old school' is concerned, this song was already 'old school' when I was 18 and first started listening to this tune. It actually is more the generation before me... its very 70s, I'm more of a kid from the 80s... that is why voice technique and great singing is something that has become who I am. Seems the serious focus on great trained vocals seemed to crap out after the 80s a bit... we had to endure the grunge and the scream movements... now hopefully, good singing is more valued and coming back.

• Administrator

I am definitely doing this, have always loved this song, definitely can't hit the highest parts! Robert, I like your version, it's totally different to Gillain, the ending is cool.

DJDeth, I like your version a lot too, really, really strong on the screams, it's cool hearing different peoples takes on the same song.

Thanks Max... ya, I think the screams are all pretty decent. If captured by a real studio, it would of really sounded amazing... the verses are only ok, a couple ? seconds in it, but what ever... it wasn't intended to be some big expose' of all that I am and can be... its just one live take with my simple live take system really for no other reason, but to entertain you guys and get some credibility pts.