The "Child In Time" Challenge by Deep Purple

• TMV World Legacy Member

Great, now I'm feeling old. And I'm only 7 years younger than Tommy.

My natural father, Ken, loved classical music and started college at the University of South Dakota as a music major. Then, his parents were moving to Tyler, Texas and he transferred to UCLA. But once in a while, he would turn onto a rock station. And there was Deep Purple. Made acceptable to some classical people because of the iconic sound of our recently departed Jon Lord. So, this song is among my memories as a child. We (not including our natural father (slstone is my full brother) didn't move to Texas until October of 1974. I was 10 years old and had a military id thanks to our recently separated 1st step-father, who was in the Navy.

Anyway, I have downloaded the file from the link you provided, Robert. I may take my time on this. Yeah, I can sing it, right off the bat. But I want to see if I can record and mix and have it sound better than a soupcan with a string.

Or, I may just throw up my hands and offer the tracks to someone else to mix. Just about anyone can mix better than I can, which may not be saying a lot.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh cool, that is good to know! Thanks for sharing that... Is this Ben? I think this is Ben... hope we can train again soon Ben. BTW, as far as 'old school' is concerned, this song was already 'old school' when I was 18 and first started listening to this tune. It actually is more the generation before me... its very 70s, I'm more of a kid from the 80s... that is why voice technique and great singing is something that has become who I am. Seems the serious focus on great trained vocals seemed to crap out after the 80s a bit... we had to endure the grunge and the scream movements... now hopefully, good singing is more valued and coming back.

It's not Bob, it's Lukasz, your student from Poland:) I'm also looking forward to having some more lessons with you (this autumn hopefully). Take care!

As a singer I appreciate your singing skill. As a listener I prefer clear voice (without rasp) in this song. No offence, it is my preference only. Steve Balsamo did excellent job IMO.

My singing -----> http://soundcloud.com/richardstomach

• Administrator

I can do the screams clean as well if I want to, but I chose to use distortion. It is not my voice, its what I chose to do. Thanks for your feedback.

Hey, where are the other versions? I thought some folks were going to step up?

I would post a cover but I usually peak at G5 and if I remember correctly, the highest screams are A5s. How high are the screams of mr. Lunte and mr. Evil? But perhaps I'll get off my ass and try to improve my range to A5.

Give us some time, Robert. You are hard act to follow. If we were to tour together, I would rather be the starting act. Because people won't remember anything after you.

:D

The top note is an E5, I believe that is the same note Gillan rips on too.

I did couple of tryes, but it didn't sound well and i realised that i can't handle it on my own, so i asked my teacher to help me to learn a way to do it well(hope it's not cheating). I gave him your version and a backing trach DJDeth gave link too, and he told me that they have different tonalities, yours is e-minor and DJDeth's backing track is a-minor, and now i see it's correct, so i wonder, should i try to scream for an a5 or stick with your version, which is more possible, but i don't have backing track in e-minor, may be i'l find it soon, because by now i tryed to do it in higher key and it's hella hard... But, lower key can be a problem too, because the lowest not would be like b2, and that's hella hard for me too, so i wander if i didn't bite more than i can eat, well, there is only one way to find out...

Gonna conquer the world ]:-|

Well let me ask you guys... which version do you like better, my track or this new one? I thought this 2nd one sounded more like a real band.. .but I can upload the other track that I used if you like?

I think it would be great, it gives guys with lower voices a chance to do this cool song too, without torturing themselves and their voices.

Robert

I love the idea of multiple people having a go at the same song to compare notes. The trouble for me here is that I really can't hit the scream. If you pick something a little less challenging on range I'm up for it.

Geerge

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

The screams in the original peak at A5, but you can also sing the phrase starting on F5, without going to the super high notes at the end of the chorus. That's also how Gillan used to sing it in the 90's, with Steve Morse harmonizing the vocal line on the guitar, substituting the A5's.

I saw the runited DP a few years ago with Steve Morse taking the place of Ritchie Blackmore, just like, at one time, he was in Kansas, taking the place of Kerry Livgren. Anyway, and I don't know if it was an offish night, but Gillan did not have the high notes. Even one of the easier ones, like "Highway Star" was a struggle for him.

I'm generally not impressed by notes above E5, but I must admit that what's impressive about Child in time is the fact that the highest screams go to A5 :) . Just like the highest note in Steelheart's "Never let you go".

I have been reading Eddie Trunk's book on hard rock and heavy metal. In the reunited band, including Steve Morse and now missing Jon Lord, they do not play "Child in Time" live anymore because Gillan can no longer do those high notes. Doesn't matter. The song is iconic. It also had epic length. The original version was around 10 minutes long. The version on "Made in Japan" (which I have on cd) is at least that long. Those were the days when everyone had to solo on every song.

• Administrator

I tried this new version of Child in Time and wow, the guitar and jam section really sucks on this version. Here is the other version again. Still interested in hearing some folks try it.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/e38d9f413a162e984db0

I understand. As for me, my next try will be on saturday. It's always loud in my home so don't realy get much time to record or even just sing, but now i asked my boss to change my chedule and he agreed, so from saturday i'll have much more time to sing and record. I also bought a synth so i'll be able to practise at home not only on singing lessons, it'll be delivered tomorrow, i can'wait :D