Holy Cow... New coordination found. Amazed myself, please listen.

Rate this topic

I was practicing and playing with my stuff... and.. man, I can't believe this... I'm still laughing about it. A few days ago I "struggled" to get to an A/B4 ...

Have been reading some Jaime Vendera stuff today and got really motivated to try and experiment..

If you have heard my Spirit Carries On cover.. you will be aware of my breathiness and my problem to connect my focal folds. Today a lot of problems seem to have dissappeared and new doors open. A new system, a new world for me.. lol

Please listen to this descending sirens I have just recorded. they are not falsetto.. at all. That is my freaking headvoice, lol... because of my airyness I am well aware of what a falsetto feels, damn, My chest voice tends to be falsetto-ish when I speak.

As I said, I had no idea I could do this... please share my happiness, lol

The last siren was the best I think.. I went higher.. but on the second one I think I had a better sound on the highest pitch.

https://soundcloud.com/sebabergmann/new-coordination-found

PD: I though this could be the wrong section.. maybe gains and progress would be better? idk.. well, nevermind

:)

-And now that I think of it the first 2 are not actually "sirens" but I haven't thought what name that has, lol

Don't want to burst your bubble but you're singing in falsetto not head voice. Try singing a 4-5 note phrase all on an A4 eg "This is my head voice" or just make up any phrase and you'll see it's falsetto. Sirens are falsetto. That's why they are so easy to do and also why they are used to train head voice.

Falsetto or head in the sound clip is debatable and a boing topic at that :rolleyes:

Bottom line is, if you can make a sound up there with time and patience you can build on it. I think Ron's tip on this is spot on. Use it as a warm up and gradually lean into the sound remembering to push down with the diaphragm.

Try not to do too much with this and burn out but definitely continue down this path

Congrats on your breakthrough Buddy. You'll be screaming out "Under A Glass Moon" next week at your rate. :D

Yeah, I think people have a misconception of falsetto. Or maybe I do. It is described as lots of air or lacking resonance. But here's the thing. There is a tone, a pitch. Something is vibrating at the required frequency your would not hear a pitch. Basic physics, incorruptable by any "belief system" to the contrary. And there is some resonance to even hear the note coming from the folds, period, paragraph, new book. What separates it from a "full note"? Air pressure and sharper resonance.

This has been redneck physics with ronws.

:)

Well... If we consider the difference between falsetto and headvoice the adduction of the vocal folds, then it is head voice. I know what falsetto feels and it's definition.

Of course it is weak, and is thin, very nasal and "feels fake" because I just discovered it and have to get used to it, and then add chest quality by playing with my larynx and overall placement and resonances.

Today I managed to do this :) from high to low and viceversa. Quality is a bit better than yesterday because the room has less reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/sebabergmann/experimenting

Don't want to burst your bubble but you're singing in falsetto not head voice. Try singing a 4-5 note phrase all on an A4 eg "This is my head voice" or just make up any phrase and you'll see it's falsetto. Sirens are falsetto. That's why they are so easy to do and also why they are used to train head voice.

Well as ronws said, that sharpness and resonance is the difference. Falsetto is a breathy sound without resonance.

Rob has talked about it, Jaime Vendera and Kevin too. I have the concepts fairly clear.

Thing is people still uses the word "falsetto" to talk about male's headvoice.. I don't know why, it just messes concepts up and confuses people.

I guess the majority of people here talks about headvoice or "reinforced falsetto" as I had heard some too.

Xamedhi it's all falsetto (not adducted vocal chords). I could do similar sirens high up on my very first day very easily but when I tried to sing say a g4 in headvoice for example it was impossible. Try this. Try going up high on a siren and when you reach the peak open your mouth and sing "this is my headvoice" all at the same pitch. Recored it, it will be falsetto. Don't get me wrong I think falsetto is great, I train my falsetto every day because it helps build my headvoice. It's the gateway to head voice. Believe what you want, I am not trying to get you down or disparage you, I am simply making an objective observation. Knowledge is power.

Xamedhi it's all falsetto (not adducted vocal chords). I could do similar sirens high up on my very first day very easily but when I tried to sing say a g4 in headvoice for example it was impossible. Try this. Try going up high on a siren and when you reach the peak open your mouth and sing "this is my headvoice" all at the same pitch. Recored it, it will be falsetto. Don't get me wrong I think falsetto is great, I train my falsetto every day because it helps build my headvoice. It's the gateway to head voice. Believe what you want, I am not trying to get you down or disparage you, I am simply making an objective observation. Knowledge is power.

Well, it's late and I can't record anything for now.. but I can put some of the stuff I was playing with today.

Hope it helps.

Listen to the last "for your lives" , that's my chest voice blending in.

Sorry again for the wimpy voice, I got a lotta work to do to make it sound good.

https://soundcloud.com/sebabergmann/maiden-asd

run f#4 (falsetto)

for b4 (falsetto)

your a#4 (falsetto)

lives f#4 (mixed voice )

"lives" has a adducted voice texture. The other notes are falsetto (different texture). Your vibrato is good indication you are doing things right. Vibrato will only appear if your technique is good. Keep doing the sirens, it takes a while but it will build your headvoice.

Thanks for your time :)

I cut these pieces of this song to show you... it's quite nasal but to get the hang of the pharyngeal sensation it helps a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/sebabergmann/shamandalie-pedazos

EDIT: I don't think it's really important, it is more just to add some background and for you to know more my voice, hehe .. I loved the forum and will stick for a while here.

EDIT 2: Now I notice, I hadn't heard that Maiden song in a while and I am very off pitch. But you catch the idea of what I was trying to do, lol

All depends what you define as headvoice... The folds are adducted in that clip, so if you define adducted folds as headvoice then sure. But the soundcolor of that is rather hooty, it doesnt matter what we define the sound as (falsetto/head) but rather what that sound you just found can be used for.

That specific sound you just did is really good for building the bulk of the headvoice and will in the future be something you can lean your mixedvoice towards :) good luck and cheers

Thanks a lot guys for the help and suggestions :)

Today I practiced that a lot.. 100% working on my support, and my speaking voice was the same before and after all my excercises ( I'm doing some stuff on the SS program.. the basic stuff, but it helps me memorize the new coordinations I am learning now ), so I guess I'm on the right track.

PD: By the way, I am a fan of yours Jens, ha ha... I saw a lot of your youtube videos yesterday and you are amazing. Have an incredible range and a very cool colour, heh. Also you always seem to know what you're talking about lol I learned a lot yesterday by watching your stuff. Have you thought about working as a vocal coach?

Thanks for the encouraging words :D Im glad it helped you.

ive actualy just started to read to a tvs coach, and i have some students already who just started with me so it's very fun.

Anyways congrats on that coordination, it helps with all sorts of stuff. If im havibg a bad vocalday i always fully warm that one up, instantly it feels alot better.

Cheers :)