Last in line

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey everybody,

I've been playing around with this new voice and I would like to share it with you :

1st attempt

2nd attempt

The intro is filled with notes I could never hit without cracking and

the rest, well, I don't know what to say... it is a controlled state and it is

led by that "ping" in the clean part of the voice.

Anyhow, let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Than

First off, Thanos, so good to hear from you, again. And you are still my angel.

For you newbies, Thanos gave me such a great gift. Get ready for an involved, unrelated story (sorry about your luck.) When I came to this forum, I was flat broke. For Christmas 2010, Thanos ordered and had shipped to me the usb interface, condenser mic, cable, headphones, mic stand, pop filter that I have. Later, as finances permitted, I added a dynamic mic to my equipment. The first song I covered with that condenser mic was "Rainbow in the Dark", edited for me by fellow member, Snax.

Thanos is an angel (and you will never live that down as long as my fingers can still type. They say that no good deed goes unpunished.) In fact, folks, my cover last year of "Child in Time" was recorded with that very set-up.

Anyway, awesome as usual, Thanos. You have always had this awesome rasp that you can do. I like what you did with the vocal line in this. I covered this song and butchered it so bad, I did not like my own cover of it and I would certainly do things different, today.

Good stuff and welcome back.

Thanks very much for the reply Ron and the introduction

GLad you liked the vocals, I have to admit I am not sure if I should love

or hate this particular timbre so I'd be good to hear more opinions.

Cheers again,

Than

Well done akarawd. Any song by Dio seems to be a masterclass in singing so for you to be able to get rom start to end with this song with so much passion is commendable.

My only criticism is that it still sounds a little rough around the edges but from your comments about this being a new voice i'm sure you know that. Just for example when you sing "Home!!!" at the end of the 1st verse 90% of it sound amazing! but how you got into it wasn't as pleasant to the ear. If you can find a way to get there without opening the vowel so much and holding back the air you may get a better result, but then again maybe not. :)

Not sure why more haven't commented tbh? come on Dio fans.

Jonathan

[url]https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-graham1-0[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/JonathanGrahamTUF[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/theunnamedfaces[/url]
[url]http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/JonathanGraham[/url]

Thanks Ron, I'm sure people are busy but a kiss is still a kiss, no ? lol just kiddin'

Thanks Jonathan, I feel the same about this, I'm still finding my way around this new territory.

Here's a second attempt, any improvement ?

This second version, the first half of the track sounded shaky, like you had not found a "line" to follow. The second half, rock solid great. Do it all like the second half, in my opinion.

This is a tough song. I covered it and I was not happy with my efforts. I think I shared it once. No comments, thankful for that, let it die, though I still have the file.

Thanks for your comment Ron, I'd like to identify the shaky part 'cause by now I've lost perspective, do you mean

up to the 1st chorus ?

Cheers,

Than

Edit: Just wanted to add the following ; this rasp does not mess up my voice (although if I let go of the clean voice beneath it, then it can make me cough). The clean voice beneath it is really thin, it feels like I don't carry any of the "chest" weight up there but it is 100% not falsetto, I think it's head voice. And finally, I'd like to say that these were recorded all the way through, without any autotuning etc

Great job man. My only critique would be the distortion sounds a bit too gutteral in some places. But in others, it sounds great. Maybe you are trying to hard? Love your tone also. You are able to keep that "ping" throughout.

www.drop-head.com

Thank you very much Keith, I agree with you and I am trying to work on it.

I will revisit this song but I've tried to use all the advice in a new post called "3 metal songs".

I need a break from this tune and will revisit it.