Hello! Original song critique

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello one and all,

I'm new here and after lurking for a while and looking at other people's posts, I decided I would bravely post my own work to see if anyone could give me some constructive criticism. I have recorded an original song of mine and it's the first time I have laid down any vocals. I was in a band for a number of years with a different singer but I started messing around with my own stuff to see if I could produce anything decent. Here is the clip:

https://soundcloud.com/blackwood-iain/fade-away-with-you-demo/s-zBilz

What advice / criticism can you give? Anything would be gratefully received. And be as harsh as you like because I won't learn if there is genuinely something wrong with my voice but people won't tell me.

Looking forward to being part of the community and learning a LOT from others!

Iain

As I listened to the intro I was hoping for a certain type of vocals and a pro approach and your voice was exactly that. It suits the piece perfectly, I wouldn't change a thing, it's really great.

Well done

Than

I agree with Thanos. However, whether or not you please us singers and "singing experts," what is more important is what the music-buying public thinks. Do you do this song at an open mic? What is the reception there?

Thanks for the kind words. I have played this track for friends and family and I get a similar response but I just think they are too kind to point out if anything is wrong. I like to sing, I just don't think my voice is that good but I guess I need to stop doubting myself and push ahead with learning more and singing more.

I will post the full track in due course for a more in depth critique!

Thanks again :)

Iain

Really good songwriting here....kinda sounds like a cross between Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams.

The lyrics are very good.

Sound like your holding back a little vocally though.

www.soundclick.com/chavie

What Chavie said. If this is an original song, sing it like you mean it. Open your heart to me, and the other listeners. Trust your instincts, don't hold back.

To borrow from american baseball, "Step up to the plate and swing for the fences. (as in, aim to get a home run where the ball sails out of the park and into the parking lot, where it breaks the windshield on someone's car.)"