Songs to practice low range?

Rate this topic

ThePowerOfOne

Hi,

I'm currently working on gaining comfort and flexibility in my low range and if possible I'd like some recommendations for good songs to practice with.

Most of the low songs I know reside it the 3rd octave which I got covered and I'd like to explore lower, if possible with nice amount of 2nd octave notes.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Bruce Springstein, "I'm on Fire"

There is always Berry White. It may not be your style but for some reason the ladies love it.

Old Man River.

Johnny Cash, Ring of Fire

Doors, Light my Fire"

Looks like anything with the word Fire in it. :o :P

Yes, Old Man River is great. Light my Fire and Ring of Fire aren't really low in general I think (just a few lows here and there iirc).

- Walk the Line by Johnny Cash has one verse that goes really low (they switch the key almost every verse). If you play the whole song like that one low verse than it is pretty low, too (going down to something like C2).

- Then there is that "Misty Mountain Cold" song from the Hobbit, which also resides really low (starts on C2 or D2 I think).

- A very cool part is the middle part of "Venus Doom" by HIM (the low notes start around 3:10) iirc, should go down to B1.

- The Chair by 69 Eyes is also very good for training the 2nd octave. The verses evolve around E2.

- A very nice song is also "It is all Tears" by HIM. While it is not that low as a whole the refrain has a cool two-octave jump between E2 and E4, which helps nicely to not lose the connection to your upper voice.

This is Isaac Hayes singing "Just The Way You Are". Lot's of notes in the 2nd octave for ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43xPYpfORtE

There is always Berry White. It may not be your style but for some reason the ladies love it.

I like him too and I'm a dude, maybe I should go to the doctor! :lol:

Nick

"Mmm" by Crash Test Dummies.

"Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks.

If you have a really low voice.

"Shackler's Revenge" by Guns n Roses

Or one of my favorites from my youth and I still sing along with it on the radio, as best I can -

"Couldn't Get it Right" by the Climax Blues Band.

Another lower song. One of my favorites and others have liked it when I do this song, both here and in front of a "live" audience. Because it is about expression, not range, whereever it happens to be.

Now that I look at it again, I think I sang with a lower center than the original. Or just looser.

I know you didn't ask for it but I might as well share what has pleased many an audience of people in various states of inebriation and sobriety.

"Brandy" by Looking Glass

https://www.box.com/s/e9e01d7f3f9fdfead316

if you really want to explore the lower side and let yourself relax for resonance try these.....not even favorites of mine, just had to sing them in wedding bands and they go over really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcwYEGdKto8

Another favorite mine. The singer is a baritone with a good mix. I would also like to cover this song, one day.

At least once before, I remember another forum member asking for low range song suggestions that he could work on to express his low end. Guess how many lower range songs he did?

None, zero, nothing. Everyone is chasing for the 5th octave. I think I am one of the few to actually seek lower notes.

Doesn't make me great, just different. So, Powerofone, I triple-dog dare you to do any one of these low songs.

edited to add:

Probably the greatest misconception is that just because most men's speaking range falls between baritone and high baritone, that singing this range is easy. Wrong. It requires as much work and concentration as the highest notes a singer can muster. But everyone as their eyes set on the A5 or C6 or whatever.

Like a classical coach once told me, "just be a singer."

That sounds easy but it is not. It requires concentration and removing preconceptions. It is easier to put your faith in some magic pill technique than it is to learn from yourself.

At least once before, I remember another forum member asking for low range song suggestions that he could work on to express his low end. Guess how many lower range songs he did?

None, zero, nothing. Everyone is chasing for the 5th octave. I think I am one of the few to actually seek lower notes.

Doesn't make me great, just different. So, Powerofone, I triple-dog dare you to do any one of these low songs.

edited to add:

Probably the greatest misconception is that just because most men's speaking range falls between baritone and high baritone, that singing this range is easy. Wrong. It requires as much work and concentration as the highest notes a singer can muster. But everyone as their eyes set on the A5 or C6 or whatever.

Like a classical coach once told me, "just be a singer."

That sounds easy but it is not. It requires concentration and removing preconceptions. It is easier to put your faith in some magic pill technique than it is to learn from yourself.

Myself like many others here started out by working on my high/very high range (4th and 5th octaves) that most guys here seek out, but almost completely neglected my low range (3rd and 2nd octaves) by doing so.

So now that I got my high range covered I simply want to get more flexibility down low.

I'm not trying to gain any more low range, but rather to just get as comfortable as I can singing low as I am singing high.

I don't want to favor just the upper portion of the voice anymore, but to use all of it as much as possible. Yes, it's challenging, but in a fun way which I welcome.

I'm not trying to gain any more low range, but rather to just get as comfortable as I can singing low as I am singing high.

I don't want to favor just the upper portion of the voice anymore, but to use all of it as much as possible. Yes, it's challenging, but in a fun way which I welcome.

Sounds like a well-rounded singer. Bless you and you will get everything you seek.