Redemption song.. pitch prbolems

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi. I want you to tell me what's wrong with my singing also what's my voice type , if you can.

Here is this song --> http://picosong.com/yqmS

Do I sing out of tune completly? I know that in the place wher it goes - redemption song - I sound bad , but in all in all how is my voice? Thanks

You're off-pitch (flat,) compared to the recording. And you are not holding a note, you deflect downward when you should maintain pitch. Also, some of your intervals are off. Interval is the distance between a note. For example, going from A to B. You are going from somewhere near A to slightly below B.

Some basic things you can do while you work on this song. First off, sing it lower. I will sometimes take a new song lower, because it is easier to cement in my mind, the intervals. Then, later, go back up to the original key.

So, while you are singing it lower, also try some basic stuff like holding one note. Match it to the note of an instrument or to one note in the song. And just hold that note so that it doesn't waver.

Also, your timing is off. Mainly because you are listening for the phrase in the song, rather than anticipating it. By the time you hear the start, it's too late to catch up.

This is a difficult song for most anyone because it is so high in the melody.

much better. Still a smidge flat on "all I ever had" but otherwise, this sounded much better. Because you could pick a key and stay with it. I don't know what to make of our voice but it sounds like you have the right accent to mimick Marley's jamaican accent.

Thank you, Ronws, for reply.

By saying that I could pick a key, you meant that singing by myself I can choose to sing in whatever key I want? Does singing by music is harder than singing acapella? Also do I have alto? Can I ever could manage to train my voice to that level, where I could join a band? Also do I have breathing problems? Thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Ronws, for reply.

By saying that I could pick a key, you meant that singing by myself I can choose to sing in whatever key I want? Does singing by music is harder than singing acapella?

Depends. For many people, singing a capella (without instrument back-up) can be more difficult, for others, it's the other way around. I think in your previous recording, you could not hear the music you were singing along with.

Also do I have alto?

No. It's hard to type your voice with no training to see where it actually goes. But just by the sound of it, you are really light, like a soprano coloratura. But that does not mean that that is your voice classification.

Can I ever could manage to train my voice to that level, where I could join a band?

Yes, see the next response.

Also do I have breathing problems?

Yes. A trick to finding out what you are doing with breath was highlighted by Phil in an article and video he put on the social media page. For a while, slow down the song and keep the volume of your voice consistent. This will actually help you control the escape of your breath. Breath management is something that is mobile. And don't think of the high notes as something to fear. Take your mind off the what the high notes are by concentrating on your volume and not letting all of your air escape at once.

I visited this thread to listen but the links were removed or don't work. :(

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

The poster might be re-recording.

Or, I hurt some feelings, while not meaning to do so.

And I have had my share of hurt feelings and defensiveness and not accepting critique in the spirit it is meant. Before I could take out the splinter in someone else's eye, I had to remove the tree trunk that was in mine.

Any mistake made here, I have already made 100 times. And I still make mistakes. And improve on one thing at a time, now and then.

And, for the poster, I am not an expert of singing. Only describing what I hear. And there are times when I will listen to something more than once before commenting, just in case my ears were hearing funny. Especially after a shower, when I might still have water in my ears.

You don't hurt my feelings, ronws! :)as for recording the re-recorded piece is still there, I deleted the original recording, becaus rowns had already told me what is wrong with it , and I thought that there weren't anything left to say really. But you can hear my second recording guitargeorge, and tell me what you think. Especially when rowns said that I sound more like an soprano but in previous post I asked the same question and got reply that I am not soprano , more like alti. I understand that by this recording it is rather hard to tell but anyways.. :P

I am glad I did not scare you off, Poppy. As for recording being tough, trust me, I know. I am the king of crappy recording. Ask anyone. :)

I am not sure how someone else is hearing you as an alto, especially on a pop song. In fact, it is hard to describe pop singing in opera terms. Things like what kind of soprano are really related to the weight of your voice in it's dominant range and what material or role you are singing. Sometimes, you can cross to another fach but really only for that particular piece.

For example, generally, I am a tenor but I can do some low notes because I can "cheat" with microphone placement. But I am not an operatic tenor. And doing some low notes does not make me a baritone. Does that make sense? Because I do not sing opera, though I admire it. A few people I have known from the classical world surmised that with enough work and study, I could be a leggiero tenor. But I am not a leggiero tenor until I have trained as one and have been cast in a role as one.

Until then, I am a pop singer or a rock singer, doing whatever my voice will do without opera training.

Still, it sometimes helps to think in terms of range, even in pop singing, to identify what you are doing or what songs are suitable for you. I think you have the right voice for this song. You just have to let it out.

As for recording, digitally, I started out with nothing but a desktop mic you can get at an office supply store. My wedding band (5 mm) is wider than the membrane of that mic was.

Most of us here are amateurs. Some teachers, some professional singing and recording artists. And a cross-section of musical interests, though some really do have a penchant for heavy metal. Which, in my opinion, can be just as demanding as opera.

You are in the right place to unleash the diva that is within you. Sing like you wrote this song.