Advice??

Rate this topic

quietstorm

This is how I sing now:

https://soundcloud.com/msquietstorm/5-september-2013-17-20-31

What do I need to tell my teacher once I start to go to him, if I wanna learn to sing like this? Listen also the chorus lol.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzCBLVnTAdI

My teacher will teach me the Estill method.

Hope you guyz can help me :)

This is how I sing now:

https://soundcloud.com/msquietstorm/5-september-2013-17-20-31

What do I need to tell my teacher once I start to go to him, if I wanna learn to sing like this? Listen also the chorus lol.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzCBLVnTAdI

My teacher will teach me the Estill method.

Hope you guyz can help me :)

quietstorm: Just tell him what you told us. I'll be curious to see how that all works out.

You already sound fantastic. The video you posted has better sound quality, and the studio used an array of effects to get her voice to sound that good. Also, autotune. Tons of that in there. I think you are well on your way to kicking her a**. Good luck!

Oh yes thank you guys. But i feel my voice sounds too "heady" and i wan more thickness in my voice. In other words, it sounds more classical rather than R&b, which i want.

I been told by one of my friends to learn curbing, which i tried before, and on another forum ive been told that i sing neutral quiet good. Becoz im familiar with cvt. But here in UK they dont know CVT.

Or anyone who knows, how can i learn to transfer from neutral to curbing?

Different styles of singing are like different ATTITUDES. For example: You walk into your house and someone you love is there. You really want to stay but you have to leave. You apologise and say softly "Oh, I forgot you were going to be here".

Different attitude: You walk in and see someone you hate. You say in a sarcastic manor "OH! I Forgot YOU were going to be here"

There are many Levels in between. But in this case one is SOFT and HEADY. The Other is Sharp and Loud.

All that I am saying is Practice Singing and Scale exercises with the Soft apology Voice AND the Sharp and Loud voice that you use when you are being sarcastic.

Learn what your voice can do with both and add a few other emotion ridden attitudes while you are at it.

How come you let the training take you away from, rather than enhance, what you could do naturally?

I am kind of interested, because I am sceptical about formal training programs. It looks like you are now trying to fix something that wasn't a problem before.

Dude, enough with this propaganda! This "natural" stuff only makes sense to YOU.

You should really keep this philosophical debate to your own thread which you created about this subject.

Don't confuse other people who really want to improve and get better with this stuff.

Dude, enough with this propaganda! This "natural" stuff only makes sense to YOU.

You should really keep this philosophical debate to your own thread which you created about this subject.

Don't confuse other people who really want to improve and get better with this stuff.

Good point, Power. Bob once described me as an untrained singer who has not yet been injured. (Actually I have but corrected my ways after a severe bout of self-reprimand and some more study.)

And thanks to Kickingtone for taking the heat off of me, for a bit. :lol:

I was raised to "figure it out for yourself." But that didn't mean re-invent the wheel. It did mean, however, to research as best as I can. While I do have 4 Pillars and several other books, I have not taken actual lessons with anyone. However, of the modern systems, I most readily identify with 4 Pillars, especially earlier editions because it reminded me of what I think I know about the classical methods.

I think the difference between me and someone set on discovering purely by one's own physical sensation is that "I ain't too proud to beg," to borrow from the old r&b song. I learn from anyone and don't mind acknowledging credit to whomever gave the wonderous insight that helped me.

Could my improvement in singing been accelerated by having the right coach for my voice? Certainly. So, it is not to be discounted. So, while I still "figure it out for yourself," I do not disparage training systems and have recommended a few. Totally from a cost-effectiveness issue, most instruction for the least amount of money, you just cannot beat 4 Pillars. It is competitively priced with other systems and offers gargantuan amounts of content, where you actually have to choose, "What am I going to work on, today? I don't have enough time for everything."

And the other systems are good and speak in language that suits different people at different times.

And, yes, I still think it's okay to learn on your own. I just don't think it helps to cause other people to doubt their ideas of seeking structured lessons or instruction. In the end, can you sing?

And I am awestruck by any student Lunte has. From the people in his videos, to Owen, who has this cool Trent Reznor vibe to his voice. (Yes, Owen, you should capitalize on that.)

No. YOU stop misrepresenting what I am saying.

By doing so, you are shooting yourself in the foot by putting people off training.

Funny. I'm putting people off training?

You're the one waving the flag of "Respect your body/voice, don't put it through the grinder and do the best with what you got, and if you ain't got a heck of whole lot then that's what you have so learn to love it"

People come here to get better, learn, evolve, discuss technique and ask or answer questions regarding technique. This is called "Vocal Technique" forum, not "Vocal philosophy" forum.

It's OK to discuss other facets of singing and that's why you opened your lovely "natural" thread and you should keep all that philosophy talk to that thread, simple as that.

Please notice that even the OP didn't understand what in the world you wanted from them with your weird questions.

kickingtone: ThePowerOfOne is right, you're not helping but derailing the thread instead. Quietstorm has her objectives and this forum is here to help her achieve them. She asked specific questions... Reading most of your posts makes me believe you're just trolling around.

Hi everyone.. This was quiet load of messages..

I'm afraid I caused this sort of debate or whatever u wanna call it.. But for me voc

Technique is a matter of guidance to the right direction of using the voice as healthy as possible..

This whole thing about being natural can be very misleading,. To me.. I might make a sound unconsciously when I talk with the right voice quality or mode, that would give me maybe the right power if I'd also control it in singing.. People use to say, sing as u talk, but in my opinion, it's a bit daft coz we don't control our diaphragm or airflow all the time, however it becomes naturally for experience singers, which makes sense if they say singing is as easy as talking.. and we use different voice settings that we maybe don't use in everyday life talking.. Singing is purely a human musical instrument.. And when someone says natural to me, it means to me what the voice can do NOW.. We are natural all the time..

Please tell me if I'm not right or don't make sense.. But to me it's also all in the head.. At the end of the day my own brain is gonna tell me what to do with my voice, and the teacher is the guidance of telling me what to do to get things right.. And I'm asking you guys for advice..

Thank you for all :)

I thought I should share an example of a natural singer, among many. Your mileage may vary.

It's okay for the original poster to ask for lessons, pointers, whatever. And for recommendations of those.

I thnk the guy in this video thought he could sing and that he didn't need any study or guidance.

quietstorm - I think you've got good technique. It seems that what you seek is the ability to sing in a specific genre - or - developing a style which you gravitate towards. If your teacher is an expert in that genre or style, that's cool. However, finding a teacher that already sings well in the style you are looking for is not easy. Whether it be Voice, Guitar or Keys, I've never found a teacher to teach me the genre that I gravitated towards. Generally, Voice teachers are really good at teaching you to get rid of bad habits, and unlocking your voice to give you freedom to do whatever you want.

To me, the style you develop - the nuances, the licks, the phrasing, the attitude, needs to come from within you - the artist. You have the ability to do this. And to become an original artist, you need to do that. This is about studying, very closely, the singer(s) you like. And mimicing. Using your ear - break down the licks. Try mimicing the phrasing - the timing - the vowels. A lot of it is rhythmical - developing the "feel". Record yourself and compare. Monitor your improvements. Your own style develops as a composite of your favorite artists - taking what you like best from each.

Kickingtone - seems you're trying to figure out if studying with a teacher or a program will help or hurt your own development. I offer my own experience for whatever it's worth. Having been self taught mostly - Voice, Guitar, Piano, I've also had classical training in Voice and Piano when I was younger. What I've found is that the training allowed me to progress much quicker. Basically removing technical obstacles. No voice teacher ever changed my timbre. My timbre remains my own no matter what training I had. I've found most voice programs aim to remove obstacles and remove harmful tensions that allow you to develop whatever style you want - safely. Their goal is to help you develop your own "natural" voice. Check out the teaching philosophies of CVT. They articulate very well the goals of many voice teachers.

Quietstorm,Soulsister,Kickingtone.

As Geno mentioned The starting goal for any Teacher or System is to relieve tensions that are already established. At the start they will also provide exrcises to establish resonance, breath management and other basic vocal coordinations.

Once these things are established you may notice a difference in your singing voice but it will not be a major change. It will not change the natural character of your voice. Your voice will become Fuller, more resonant, and a more solid tone. Isn't that what you want?

After these things are better established You will be guided through exercises that may be designed to counter act any habitual tendencies( things that you naturally do from cultural and environmental influences) that cause problems in pitch, other tensions or sound quality. These exercises if taken to extremes or misused can lead to other problems.

You will then be instructed by your coach, teacher or Course manual in other exercises to give you better control over vocal chacteristics that can be used at your discression for any style that you choose to sing.