Power of chest voice into head voice

Rate this topic

Blameitonthevodka

"Chest," according to Frisell, is volume and ring. Which come from resonance. Others have the opinion that "chest" is raspy. It is not, in my opinion. Resonance brings volume and it is a matter of basic physics. And "weak" and "resonant" in the same sentence is kind of an oxymoron, mutually contradictive. Work on the resonance until your eyeballs vibrate and your head "rings" like a bell.

Resonance is a "ball." As in baseball, keep your eye on the ball.

I guess your right...If I put the power into my head voice like that, I seem to run out of breath really quickly I think. I feel like head voice is naturally resonant but to try to project the head voice for me is a challenge.

It helps to think of the note as physically "small" and let the resonance take care of the rest.

Volume comes from resonance.

Not sure about this, but I think I've heard that Phil vocal coach (who's also a member here) say that in order to get ''chest voice like'' strength into those high notes, it's a good idea to start hitting them very, very soft and once you sustain such notes increase the volume and intensity of the note.

Well, Phil is an expert and I am not. You should follow his description. And I would say, if Phil's explanation sounds right to you, then you should follow it and this thread could be more about your success with it than another debate on "head" vs "chest."

Hey Phil, I've actually been thinking about this too. I can't really understand how is it possible to really separate volume from "chestiness". Even on a low note perhaps. And what does it actually feel to you when you're stretching your chest voice high? I guess I'm approaching this from a "one voice" mindset and I can't really understand how would these sounds you use for training would translate into what I got in my mind.

i agree with phil.

to get that big beefy head voice you learn to shift resonance while maintaining support (critical for going up strong) you have to let the vowel narrow which will shed weight as you go through the passaggio.

the vowel plays a key role and can easily get overlooked. the vowel is what really lets you up. you don't have to reduce the volume, nor the pressure.

once you learn to narrow you will feel the release into the higher notes and if you maintain good support and keep the intensity the head voice and the chest voice become tonally indistinguishable.

it takes a lot of practice and particularly experimentation to see which vowel shades are the right ones for your particular voice.

It takes time time to balance and finesse the cords to stay connected enough so you are not yelling or not in falsetto. This is where technique and work come into play. The "staying beefy and powerful is really just a saying for sounding beefy and powerful. Getting the voice to stay in that chest like sound on high notes is a hard thing to do if it wasn't everybody would be Steve perry Stevie wonder (insert great singer). Take the time like lifting weights or learning any skill. Learn from a good teacher that knows how and listens and you will succeed

Power, be it on chest or head, is achieved using resonance. In fact most pop singing needs less power, more open and natural production.

And even in this case, keeping focus all the time with no dynamic contrast makes all your power go away, and you will starve without it all the same.

While you keep looking for more power, you will always be one step behind your goal. Instead, look for soft and gentle, so that you can create contrast.