What is the name of this distortion effect? And how can I achieve it?

Rate this topic

Simon T8W

That distortion would be the cheap mic in your laptop or phone being overloaded by too much volume from a small player or one that is too distant. It was hard to even ear someone singing.

I feel like shooting you now :mad: lol ok I'm sorry I sent the wrong file. How about this

It is surely distortion, I mean say in the terminology of CVT.

But what is in fact particular about this amazing piece of art, is that it has a very distinct high tolerance vibrato. You know one does not usually consider mixing distortion with vibrato, but this guy has done it. Although I have never produced such a sound myself (yet!) but the key to it is distort your voice in a relatively high frequency and start to apply vibrato to it.

That would probably be the creaking distortion. Correct me if I'm wrong though. It sounds cool mostly in the 4th octave and above.

Before you attempt anything like this be sure to nail the underlying clean note first. When you do nail it, it doesn't require a lot more effort even though it may give the impression that it does. In fact, I've found that it could even require less effort as the distortion really increases the "perceived power". It shouldn't hurt at all too so if you feel any grinding you're doing it wrong.

I've heard a lot of people saying the found it by overtwanging so you could give that a try.